26

It was a few hours past noon before Lara could properly settle. A few hours past noon until Natasha came into the room, convincing me to rest while she keeps an eye on Lara. As you would expect, it took a while before I actually agreed. After a lengthy back and forth, including Natasha nearly dragging me out of the room, I finally found myself on the elevator back up with my bones aching, stomach rumbling with hunger and in dire need of a shower.

And of course, the whole Wanda thing was on my mind too.

I get to my room, my bed looking more attractive than ever as I fight the urge to let myself sink into the mattress and drag myself to my bathroom. After a warm shower that nearly puts me to sleep right on my feet, I brush my teeth and avidly avoid looking at myself in the mirror because if Lara looked that bad, I probably looked worse. I mean, I defenitely felt it.

With a towel tightly wrapped around my torso, I head out to my room to dig through my drawers for something to wear. The cold air mixing with my damp skin made taking a nap even more enticing, but before I could even properly get a hand on a shirt to throw on, a few knocks pepper my door.

I don't know why I ran, maybe it was the stress, the dreading feeling of finding Natasha there telling me something else had gone wrong in the ten minutes i've been gone.  When I swing the door open though, I'm met with another redhead that instantly swarms me with relief and also makes my heart thrash all at once which, i'm not sure how it's possible.

"Hey." I say in surprise, stepping aside to let Wanda in as she hesitantly enters.

"Nat told me what happened. How's Lara doing?" She asks as I shut the door, fixing my damp hair to fall neatly over my shoulder as I treaded back to my open drawers.

"She's conscious, we just need to finish her drip and she can go back to her room. She's so stupidly stubborn, it's driving me crazy." I huff, shaking my head as I dig out a simple black shirt and some grey sweats.

"Well, I can see where she gets it from." Wanda hums amidst a small smile as I toss my clothes onto the bed, landing right next to where she was sitting.

"I know— our mom." I reply, a smirk plastered on my lips as I approach. I can see her subtly shifting, nervous in her spot as I get closer— all while wearing just a towel.

"So..." I trail off, stopping right in front of her as she looks up at me breathlessly.

I place a hand under her chin, gently holding it in place as my thumb lingers over her skin as lightly as I could muster. I could practically hear her heart stop, her breath hitching as I fight off a cheek eating grin daring to show itself on my lips.

"Why are you here?" I raise a brow, promptly dropping my grasp as I nonchalantly reach for my clothes, walking around to the other side of the bed— where her back is turned as she clears her throat.

"I was just worried. That's it." She replies, but there's a slight tremble to her voice that fuels my amusement.

"Are you sure?" I ask teasingly, tossing the towel onto the bed. The moment she realizes what i've done, I visibly see her freeze in place as she stammers for a reply.

"Well— I wanted to ask something else too." She replies nervously as I pull on my underwear, humming for her to continue.

"Why did you kiss me?" She asks in a single breath, like she had been holding it forever and only released it now.

I quickly finish dressing up, fishing my hair out of my shirt as I straighten the fabric of my clothes and grab my towel, walking around to drape it over the chair in the corner. The entire time, I could feel her eyes on me— up until I turn to meet her expectant gaze.