Chapter 1: Battle Flame (part 2)

Start from the beginning

Suddenly, no more bodies dropped in and a bright light shined, blinding her. She closed her eyes, continuing to use the strength in her fingers to climb out of the hole in the ground. That's when a hand reached out, grabbing hers.

Grace's first instinct was to dig her fingernails into the flesh but when a soft "ow" that was too familiar for her liking came out, her eyes fluttered open just to meet the eyes of lover.

"What are you doing here?" Grace exclaimed as Jungwoo pulled her out, arms naturally wrapping around her waist.

"I'm your guardian angel." Jungwoo joked as Grace hugged him back, a part of her relieved that he was here.

The other part of her was terrified as she held his face in her hands, staring into his eyes. "You shouldn't be here."

"It's just me." Jungwoo told her, giving her hand a squeeze. "Erde asked for reinforcements but Taeyong wasn't a big supporter so he sent enough for Erde to believe that we're here to support them."

"Why you?" Grace asked. "You're not a big fan of fighting."

"I came here for you." Jungwoo said and Grace became worried the second his smile faded, sensing that something was wrong.

"What is it?" Grace asked, even though a part of her didn't want to hear it.

Jungwoo took a deep breath, a sigh escaping his lip.

"Erde has Haesoo."

...

Jungwoo watched as the girl he loved fell apart at the sight of her best friend, barely breathing after being brutally beaten up. Lucas had found Haesoo at camp, a few of the Chief's men trying to get news on Feu from her. Haesoo obviously kept her mouth shut, at the risk of her own life.

Lucas had to work hard to convince them to let Haesoo go, promising that he would watch over her. The second they had left, he had called Jungwoo over, knowing that the internal injuries were too bad to be healed.

If Jungwoo wasn't a Luminosa noble, he was certain that there would be no way that Grace would be allowed into Erde's camp. He had to threaten a few of the guards using Taeyong's name, but at least Grace could see her best friend before Haesoo's time was over.

"Jungwoo, her vare." Grace sobbed, clutching tightly to Haesoo's arm. "Where is it?"

"Lucas went to get it from one of the clan leaders." Jungwoo said, blinking back the tears beginning to form in his eyes. He wasn't that close to Haesoo but knew how much she meant to Grace, and seeing Grace in pain was already hard enough for him. "Grace, I don't think it'll work."

"We have to try." Grace cried, the tears rolling down her face as she lightly brushed the hair away from Haesoo's face. "A vare is supposed to give its owner power."

She's too far gone, Jungwoo wanted to say. But a weak cough coming from Haesoo's mouth captured Grace's attention instead, the princess quickly leaning forward to hear what Haesoo had to say.

It was too far for Jungwoo to hear, the male only able to witness Grace shaking her head. "Haesoo, I can't do that."

Haesoo whispered something else to her before coughing again, this time much more forcefully, gasping for air.

Jungwoo had to look away as Grace sniffled, holding Haesoo's hand. That's when Jungwoo realized she was wearing a ring on her finger, one that he had seen before.

So Jaehyun did it, Jungwoo thought, smiling for a brief moment. He really did it.

Haesoo's breathing was becoming shorter and more shallow, and he watched as Grace gently hugged her best friend, humming softly to her to soothe her escape from this world. He knew that it took a lot out of Grace to hold back, but it was clear that she knew that the best thing she could do is be there for Haesoo during the last moments of her life.