Epilogue - 2067

Memory was sitting on her porch in the bright morning sunlight. No one else in the house was awake yet. She was living at her son Grayson's house because of her old age. Memory hated the idea of living with her son and his family; however, she was not given a choice in the matter. According to Grayson, her grandkids loved spending time with her and seeing her every morning. Memory had always wanted a big family, and now she has one.

The front door opened and walked out her son and oldest grandson, River. He had on his backpack and had a lunchbox in his hand. It was his first day back at school after Spring Break.

"Hey, Mom. How are you doing?" Grayson asked.

"I'm fine. Are you excited for your first day back, River?" Memory asked the boy.

"Yeah, I am actually." Grayson sat down in the chair next to Memory and River stood beside him. It was amazing how much the two looked like. It reminded her of how much Grayson looked like her late husband, his father. There was a moment of silence before River spoke again. "Nana, there's something I have been meaning to ask you lately."

"What is it?"

River hesitated before responding. "Well, in history class we are talking about 2020 and the COVID-19 pandemic. Dad said that you were in high school at the time. What was it like living through a pandemic?"

Memory thought hard about what her grandson said. It was an odd time to think about since so much happened in such a short time. Quarantine, school cancellations, government shutdowns, vaccines, and death. Two years of her life went to Covid. Two years of her life went to days of boredom and misery; instead, she could have been preparing for college. Two years she could've spent time with her friends; instead, she was locked inside.

Finally, she spoke. "Well, to answer that I have to take you back. Back to when I was a freshman in high school, with a group of friends so unusual you would think I was crazy."

Grayson laughed at the statement. "We already think you're crazy." Turning to River, he added, "I have heard this story so much growing up. It always started the same way, but it never failed to capture my attention."

River stared at Memory in amazement. "Tell me more, Nana."

"It can wait until after school. It is quite a long story."

Just then, the school bus pulled up. River suddenly looked as if he did not want to go to school. It was obvious that he wanted to hear the rest of the story. His dad urged him along, but before he got on the school bus, he hugged Memory.

"I love you, River."