prologue

Central Park - New York City, New York

FIVE THINGS YOU can see, I asked myself.
Tony's big brown eyes filled with intense anxiety. Pepper's reddish blonde hair glowing in the sunlight. The emerald ring sparkling on my finger. Blood on my knuckles. My eyelashes clumped with tears, blurring most of my eyeline.

Four things you can feel.
Pepper's hand on my back. Tony's fingers getting loose hair strands out of my face. Hot tears on my skin. The cool grass under my knees.

Three things you can hear.
Tony's urgent voice, trying to calm me down, like a Dad trying to get their kid to breathe in the middle of a panic attack. Pepper's softer voice, like a mother cooing at her daughter in a moment of heartbreak. Finally, I could hear my ragged sobs as the echoed off my chest.

Two things you can smell.
Tony's cologne, I could recognize it anywhere. He always wore too much. And, the smell of singed clothing - Bifrost trips were intense.

One thing you can taste.
Salty tears.

"I've got you," Tony was saying, "You're safe now, Y/N, I've got you."

Pepper ran her fingers through my hair, a comforting sensation. I heard her speak, her voice dropped to a whisper. I wasn't supposed to hear her question, but the worry in her voice made her fluctuate her tone. "Tony... my god, what happened to her?"

He pulled me into his chest, my face resting between his shoulder and neck. He held onto me tightly, answering Pepper grimly. "I don't know."

By now I had gotten control of my breathing and stopped crying. Feeling protected within Tony's arms made me feel whole again, after the breaking of my heart I had viciously felt so strongly before. The universe sent me back to my family, and Tony was exactly who I needed in the moment.

"We need to get her home, Tony," Pepper said quickly. Tony interrupted her just as fast, "I know, I know—"

"Well I know you know, but you're still just holding her—" Pepper continued. I knew she meant well, but Tony took it slightly the wrong way.

"What am I gonna do, force her up?" Tony bickered, "She's traumatized—"

"I know that, but—" Before Pepper could continue, a whirling noise made all of us freeze. Even I took a second to assess what was happening.

In front of us, a golden-orange circle burned into existence. I wiped my face, clearing my vision a bit.

A familiar, mustached man was on the other side of the golden portal. I felt Tony shift so I was centered more behind him as he went into protective-mode.

"Strange?" I mumbled quietly. Tony cocked his head a bit, "Yeah, I'd say so."

"Tony Stark, I'm Doctor Stephen Strange. I need you to come with me," said the doctor. He caught my eye and a glimmer of compassion crossed his face as he acknowledged me. "Y/N."

I felt Pepper help me onto my feet, holding me up with her arm wrapped around my shoulders in full support while Tony stepped forward towards Strange. Clearly, the two of them were on edge by his dramatic entrance.

Strange politely nodded his head at Pepper. "Oh, uh, congratulations on the wedding, by the way."

I snapped my head towards Tony, feeling slightly betrayed. I was missing and they got married? Are you serious? I'm like Tony's sister. "Wait, you got married?!"

Pepper squeezed my arm with an awkward smile. "Eloped."

Tony was still confused over the entire existence of Strange and what he was doing here, he ignored my wedding comment and focused back on Strange's magic. "I'm sorry, you giving out tickets or something?"

"We need your help," Strange glanced at me, "I'm guessing she knows what I'm getting at."

"Listen to him," I nodded, confirming to Pepper and Tony they could trust the magicain in front of them.

Strange went ahead with his pleading as soon as I backed him up. "Look, it's not overselling to say that the fate of the universe is at stake."

"And who's "we"?" Tony shot back, side-eying me. "You and Y/N?"

Suddenly another figure emerged from behind Strange, smaller and much less intimidating; Bruce.

My heart soared. Bruce and I had gotten closer after Sakaar, and he was there on Asgard and knows exactly what I went through. He stepped forward through the portal and immediately pulled me into a hug. "My god, Y/N, you're okay!"

I squeezed Bruce extra tight, tears threatening to fall again. I didn't let them, trying to get ahold of my emotional state.

Tony, meanwhile, showed all of his emotions like a dramatic open book; his jaw was dropped. "You're-- you're alive," he breathed.

Bruce turned to him, smiling in relief. It had been years since Bruce had seen Tony; and they were finally reunited. "Hey, Tony."

Tony was stiff as a board, shocked out of his mind. He managed to find his words, shakily asking Bruce, "You okay?"

Bruce didn't answer, he just gave Tony a desperate hug. After everything he'd been through, his silence was understandable and the hug sent a clear message.

After they parted, Strange nodded at me. "Are you joining us? You're powerful. Strategically, it would be—"

"I don't know if that's a good idea," Pepper spoke up, gently grasping my forearm. "Strategy or not," she added, glaring slightly at Strange to send a message.

Tony sent me a serious look before taking my face in his hands, cradling me lightly. "Y/N, listen, no one would blame you if you sat this one out. You look..." he sighed, wiping away the residue of tears and grim under my eyes, "you could use a break."

I grabbed his wrist and scowled, my lungs igniting with fiery anger. "No. I've got unfinished business."