Dear Nick,
     I don't know if I'll make it. I don't know where I am and I'm weak. I might try and find a small shop and stop for a rest? If I don't write back within three days, I'm sorry. Please don't cry, I'm trying my very best! I won't give up! I'll make it through! Even it means I die once I see you. Take care,

Love Karl,

On cue, a bird swooped down and snatched his paper. He waved the bird, noticing the colors he knew it was his delivery bird. A smile grew on his face. He pushed himself up and drug his bags.

Nick read the piece of paper as tears flowed down his face. He covered his mouth with a whimper as he dropped down onto his bed. Karl was all alone, in the middle of nowhere! Probably starving or dying of thirst. His heart broke at the image of Karl's skinny body, laying at his porch. He shook his head and crumbled up the paper. He tossed it across his room and curled into a ball.
Two weeks later

"Nick? Dear?" His mother called as she opened his door.

"Go away."

His mother frowned.

"You haven't eaten in a week I'm worried."

Nick pulled the covers over his face.

"I'm fine mom, just not hungry."

His mother sighed before shutting his door and leaving him alone. Nick hugged his pillow for dear life. He cried into his pillow.

"You said three days.."

His mind triggered him. He couldn't sleep anymore as every time he closed his eyes, he pictured Karl laying lifelessly in front of him. He wouldn't eat, the thought of knowing Karl was most likely starving or worse, dead- he lost his appetite and forced himself to stop eating. He wanted to suffer with Karl. A two for one package...

With Karl

Karl sobbed. He thought he was going to die. He lost hope in finding shelter and he was running low on food and water. He hugged himself imagining Nick, standing in front of him telling him it's okay and he's got him now. Karla head lifted when he heard feathers. He gave a light smile as the blue feathered bird stepped closer to him.

"Hi Marcus." Karl spoke, his voice raspy. The bird leaned up against Karl's thigh. Karl giggled before pulling out a piece of paper and a pen. Once he finished he folded it up and set it down for his bird to take. Which is what he did, flying away.

Dear Nick,
     I'm alive..barely. I'm running low on food and water and I haven't found any shelter! I'm praying to god he send me something, anything! I love you Nick, and if I don't make it..I want you to look after Marcus for me..

    Love Karl,

Nick lost it. He screamed out and punched his wall as he cried out. His throat hurt, his knuckles stung, his vision blurry..he hated god at that vary moment.

"Nick!?" His mother bursted through his door with a worried look. She gasped when she saw his bloody knuckles and red face.

His mother took him outside and cleaned him up. He tried to hold back his cries, looking at his mother's face, his lip quivered and he sobbed out. His mother pulled him into a hug and rubbed back.

Month later

"Pancakes?"

Nick smiled and nodded before crawling out of bed and running out his room.

"I made them just how you like them." His mother said with a smile. Nick chuckled before grabbing a plate and putting two pancakes on them. He sat down at the table across his mother. He picked at his food for a bit, until he actually took a bite. His mother clapped bringing a smile to Nicks face.

"I'm so proud of you dear."

Nick chuckled.

He hadn't fully forgotten about Karl. Though he tried, his name echoed quietly in Nicks head. After assuming he was dead, he finally let go and tried to forget. He found another boy around his age right down the street. He'd go out and play every day until sunset. Nick felt happy, well maybe not happy. He felt apart of him was missing..like a big chunk of himself. He completely changed over the month, he did miss Karl's letters. His mom made him throw them out. Little did she know, he hid them in a secret spot. His head perked up when a knock at the door echoed through the house. Nick looked at his mom for confirmation, receiving a nod before he pushed his plate away and rushed to the door.

Thinking it was the boy down the street as he opened it, his smile faded and his face went blank.

"N-Nick?"

HAHAHA CLIFF HANGER 📸