A letter or two

after the encounter with the abyss mage and Dainslief, Y/n and Scaramouche returned to Liyue harbor in complete silence and it was somewhat peaceful. Birds chirped and the gingko leaves fell from the trees on mountain tops, though the occasional thief would approached and act as any thief would.

But that didn't disturb the two, they didn't enjoy the others presence nor their silence but felt oddly at ease around the other when the silence wasn't broken. Even the masked woman, as a troubled person accompanied by sickening nightmares; even she felt at ease in the golden silence..

But of course, the ever so bustling city of commerce was never silent even during the night when people would retreat to their homes for rest. "Off to Northland?" Y/n asked her boss whom nodded his head slightly; the peaceful atmosphere the two shared shattered with the voices of shop keeps and shoppers.

It was needless to walk with her boss to Northland so she went ahead, glancing at shops and people who gave her odd mask the side eye. Some even looked suspicious, she was there when Childe summoned Osial so they were right to give her unwelcome glances but she was far from fazed.

Up the stairs she went, glancing down the main street at her boss who walked unbothered by other people in the crowded street. She was curious, how does one perfect a fake smile like his? And she wondered if, what if she bothered him enough to show her how? Though people are plenty gellable these days, it can obviously come in handy to fool someone who is not easily tricked.

Up the stairs she went, her figure disappearing from the view of the Millileth on the streets and the burn of unwelcoming glares subsiding. She was at the entrance of the bank in no time, greeting the guard at the front as usual and opening the door.

"Y/n! hey!" Childe, who seemed to be conversing with a diplomat over something, fixed his attention on Y/n; whom was a little surprised. "Hey Childe" he walked up to you and held a slim letter in his hand, "I'm not going to Snezhnaya Childe, we're going to Fontain next.."

He chuckled "I see you haven't been informed yet, The Tsaritsa ordered all Harbingers below the seventh are to return to Snezhnaya for further orders considering the gnosis'" he winked and his smile widened.

"And since you are working directly under the sixth harbinger, you get to return with him before continuing with other missions!" Childe was always excited for no good reason half the time but Y/n understood his unusually happy smile.

"I'll give them a hug for you, any toys for Teucer this time?" he shook his head, "not this time" the door opened behind you both and Childe stepped back from you. "My recipe for Borsch is in there if you could make some for them? please?"

She sighed, putting a hand on her hip "Childe i can't cook for shit" he winked "that's why it's step by step, stupid. But, i have to get back to what i was doing earlier, goodbye Scara and Y/n" and just like that the 11th harbinger ran off in hopes of escaping his stronger comrade.

"Remind me to kick his ass later, what was he on about? Borsch?" he snatched the letter from her hand and was about to open it but she took it back and glared. "A letter to Childes family in Snezhnaya, when we return there i'm delivering to them"

"we're not going to Snezhnaya for another month or so, couldn't he have a messenger sent?" the slightly taller male crossed his arms with aggression in his eyes. "He said every harbinger below the seventh is to return to receive orders about capturing more gnosis'"

"how does that bastard know about that? ugh what a pain, we're leaving tomorrow so leave and get your shit packed so i don't have to wait for you" a order of dismissal always sounded good no matter how it was put. Y/n smiled and bowed her head a little, "Yes sir".

=======

She couldn't help it, Liyue had such pretty trinkets and gems so she just couldn't help but stop at every other place to look at hairpins or outfits. She went on so many detours that she didn't make it to the hotel before the sun fell.

but on the bright side, she found a few hidden gems and a toy for Teucer to take with her to Snezhnaya. A swift greeting to the receptionist and she was heading to her room with a few bags in her hands.

She was greeted with loud meowing when she entered her room, Mochi running up and instantly rubbed against her ankles and begged for attention. "Oh..hey Mochi" Y/n crouched down and scratched the small gray tabby before standing back up and leaving the bags untouched by the wardrobe. 

She was tired but packing her stuff up was mandatory as she would more then likely get left behind if she was a minute late. So, in a similar style, she sluggishly packed up every bit of clothing the needless makeup that you didn't need to put on immediately. All that was left your things was a brush and some of Mochi's toys, now sleep could come easier then ever.

but who said it was gonna be peaceful?

too tired to really change, you simply flopped into bed while disregarding your blankets and you were out like a light, but images flooded your mind. Sleep was not peaceful for you no matter what you did to stop it, Nightmarish images flooding your brain for eight hours or more every night.

No medicine helped, no alcohol helped and most certainly did no body else try to help whether you asked or not. It was dreadful, no not dreadful it was absolutely agonizing..

Sleeping with so many painful memories, living with them was hard enough but seeing them over and over again when your body got a break? Death sounded more pleasant then seeing the reaper visit your sisters soul as you could nothing but watch as she calmly walked away from you.

Your mouth was dry and your sickness only got worse without peaceful sleep, Mochi tried his best to comfort you. Jumping and crawling over to you and prodding your stomach in worry, he meowed and rubbed his head against your chin. You woke up with a start, sitting up and clutching your chest in need of air.

Luckily the window was conveniently placed just beside the bed and you were quick to open it and gasp for the open air. The tabby leapt onto the window sill and rubbed his head against your elbow, "H-hey..Hey Mochi why'd you wake me up?" you laughed at yourself as if expecting the cat to answer you.

He purred as you rubbed his head and scratched his ears, "I might as well go for a walk..maybe that'll help clear my head" you coughed and closed the window. Mochi stayed on the bed as you went to put on your mask, But it was late so who would be out so late at night? Well, it's for good measures i suppose.

The tabby curled up on the bed with the remaining warmth as his shelter, ready to await for your return from this midnight stroll.

In the midnight, you strolled under the comfort of the lanterns until someone approached you and a thin letter in an envelope. "For you miss..have a good night" the messenger hurried off with more letters in his hands, likely just eager to get some sleep. You looked at the letter and slowly opened it, who could possibly be sending you a letter?

It's been a while huh what ten years? I'm flattered that you're still looking for the person who allegedly killed me. But aren't you getting tired? Do you even have a boyfriend? I'm sure you don't, you were always too independent to start a relationship even if it would have made me happy to see you in a relationship before i 'died'. Well if you can't tell, I'm not dead in fact i'm very much still alive and i am fully aware about your work in the fatui, and i'm not proud nor am i disappointed, i partially expected this. But if you're so keen on finding me then, let's play some hide and seek? I loved it when you played that game with me when i was young, but we can't play hide and seek in all of Teyvat unless i give you a few hints, say i'll give you a break and give you an obvious hint..where did we live when we were younger? It should be pretty clear, if you see me there you win! but if you don't well, we play again and again until you can't live with it anymore!

"what kind of sick joke is this?"