Smoldering ember

Being quick and light on her feet, Y/n reached Liyue some time in the late evening just as the stars were coming out. Northland bank was quiet and peaceful, a single fatui guarding the doorway, she greeted her with a nod.

She pushed the door open and stepped inside, the warm air rushing at her. It was dreadfully quiet, drawing up the conclusion that Balladeer was either not here yet or just chose to go home and sleep.

"Has Balladeer been here at all?" the woman behind the counter shook her head, "No, but Master Childe is in fact he's upstairs.." not a moment later did a loud and proud voice boom from the upstairs corridor.

"Hey shorty!" Childe, Tartaglia, Ajax, the youngest of the fatui harbingers and the 11th of them. Very bright and energetic to hide the two faced dark and battle thirsty part of him, He mentioned in his youth having been in the abyss when he was thirteen or fourteen.

In turn she grew a little attached to the young boy, making sure his work with the fatui wouldn't get him killed, even if he wanted that. But, even so, he was skilled at not only pissing her off but nearly getting himself killed when teasing the 6th harbinger.

"Good evening carrot head, what are you doing here so late?" he grinned and hurried down the stairs. "A meeting with someone, what are you doing here? I thought you'd be in Snezhnaya" Her head shook side to side "I'm waiting for a certain hatbinger with a temper"

He chuckled, leaning his arm against her shoulder "A certain hatbinger huh?" she swatted his hand away. "It's late, and i'm certainly still raring to go. How about we spar if you're up to it?" she rolled her eyes.

"I just ran from dawn winery to Liyue, i want to shrivel up in bed and sleep!" the woman behind the counter listened to the conversation and smiled. "If i may miss" her head turned to face the lady, briefly nodding.

"If you are so exhausted from travels, i could tell Lord Balladeer that you went to the inn for the night if he shows up" she rolled her eyes. "Even has underlings call himself lord, dickhead"

"He doesn't have you call him that?" she shook her head no, "I've just called him Scaramouche, Balladeer or Scara" His eyes narrowed mischievously "Really~? ooh to see the look on his face when i tell him what you told me"

She shrugged, "I don't care, do whatever you want" her bitter words made him chuckle a final time before she left the bank and sluggishly walked down the stairs. The night had fully invaded the once blue and sunny sky, stars peeking out from the inky black void above.

No moon was in the sky, so without any lantern light it would be practically pitch black and impossible to see for normal citizens. The Inn was on the far side of town, so it was a slightly far walk from the bank.

Merchants were closing up shop for the night, the crowds from the evening fleeting into their homes. She had a few thoughts in her head while wandering the streets to the inn, but she was too tired to put much thought into them. Maybe she'll save them for a bath?

=======

Upon arrival into her room at such a luxurious inn, she tossed her mask onto the floor and flopped onto the bed. Her luggage piled up by the wardrobe, containing her necessities and articles of clothing.

She groaned and got up, neatly unpacking and hanging up clothing and putting brushes and makeup in there respective places then proceeding to go to sleep after neatly placing her mask on the desk. 

"I swear to the archons above if that asshole sends someone to wake me up or better yet comes to get me himself, i will beat him with his own hat" she got changed then blew out the candles and once more flopped onto bed.

enveloped in warmth that the blankets provided, she curled up into a fetal position to drink the lonely warmth they provided. 

=========

The next morning provided a gray light that found it's way through the windows, the cloudy sky hid the sun like a shy child hiding behind it's mother.

The girl rolled onto her side, curling up as much as she possibly could to ease the nightmarish images flowing through her feverish mind. During the night she couldn't choose whether to use her blanket or not so she simply balled it up and hugged it like a stuffed toy.

 her whimpers of discomfort and fear were muffled into it, then the sudden knocks at her door almost made her squeak in surprise. She shivered and shook her head, taking a deep breath before responding.

"Who is it?" she called, receiving a calm and somewhat worried answer "Just a diplomat miss, it's almost noon are you alright?" she cradled her crown and sighed. "Just a minute" she carefully got out of bed as to not fall face first.

The mask laid untouched on a desk as she wandered over to it, loosely gripping it and tying the silver string around her head. She looked decent so she went to open the door, looking up at the kind diplomat.

"I can't tell if you're alright with that mask.." he sighed, "that's the point, anyway, who sent you?" he nodded briefly, respecting her privacy. "Well, Lord Scaramouche asked i fetch you for him then Master Childe requested you spar with him in Guili plains"

"Tell Childe i won't be able to make it, I'm unwell and serve other Balladeer so only my free time goes to him now" the diplomat nodded. "I hope you feel better soon and perhaps Balladeer will ease up on you?"

She laughed shaking her head, "No way! now leave and let me get ready for the day" he nodded and left without another word. It was abnormal how she was so perfectly fine with working under some tyrannical harbinger while sick.

What if he found out? would he purposely make her work harder or more vigorously to satisfy his sadistic needs? maybe, only one way to find out.

No one expects an angel

to set the world on fire