Chapter 2: Trudgen

Trudgen's POV

I was so glad it was finally Saturday! Vicrul, Ushar, and I had arrived back from a job in Alaska, and I was so happy to be back in a state that wasn't completely covered in snow in the spring; the temperature there hadn't risen above freezing during the week that we were there. And I was pumped to be able to go to the bar tonight with some of the Knights. I knew the others wouldn't be able to make it tonight, but Vicrul, Ushar, and I needed a night out to ourselves to unwind after such a long job.

The kill should not have taken as long as it did, but this pedophile was a nomad living off the grid, so it was difficult to get a read on where he would be at any given time. He'd murdered multiple native Alaskan children after he'd had his way with them and would leave their bodies in various places around the barren wilderness. The cops had trouble locating him constantly, and one of Kylo's paid detectives from Fairbanks wanted us to make him disappear for good. The advantage for us: he was a nomad living off the grid, so it was easy to leave his body in pieces amongst the various live predators in the nearby forests, and no one would even bat an eye.

As the night grew darker, I threw on some black jeans, combat boots, and just to wear something that wasn't solid black, I added my black and white tattered sweater. I grabbed my phone and texted Vic and Ushar together in a group chat. They were ready to go, so I headed downstairs to meet them by Vic's black and red Rubicon.

When we arrived inside the bar, we noticed Scott right away, but there was a new bartender working tonight. We'd been to this bar enough times to know who was working when, not to mention Jack would inform us as well—one of the perks of having him on our payroll—but this woman was not on our schedule. She seemed to be a pretty quick bartender, as if she'd done this for years. She was impressive as she flowed seamlessly between customers at the bar. For a moment she stopped moving and was looking down, probably cleaning glasses, so I wasn't able to get a great look at her right then. I was glad the other two didn't notice me staring so obviously, since they were doing the same thing.

Ushar spoke first as we stepped aside from the door. "Hey, who is that?"

Vicrul and I both shrugged, commenting "I don't know."

"Whoever she is, she's not on our list," Vicrul stated. She looked up and her eyes immediately met ours. She looked terrified and flustered when she saw us. "I wonder when she started. Maybe tonight?"

"That may be why we haven't heard of her," I replied. "Jack isn't stupid enough to hire an undercover at his bar."

"Not that he knows about," Vicrul said. "We'll still have to check her background to make sure."

"Hey Jack!" Ushar called, and he waved the owner over to us through the small crowd.

Jack walked over swiftly, smiling. "What's up guys?" He gave us each a handshake and pulled us in for a brief embrace. "What can I do for you?"

Ushar nodded over to the new bartender. "Yeah, who is she?"

Jack looked baffled and a little bit scared for a moment. As he should be, because there would be consequences if he didn't notify us of when he made changes to his staff. "I sent Kylo the new schedule with her included. She's my new bartender, Samara. I hired her last week."

That explains it. We had just arrived back yesterday from Fairbanks. Kylo hadn't gotten the chance to meet with us yet about the new bartender at 4 Aces, and he wasn't one to send that kind of information over a text. I nodded and thanked Jack, sending him away to manage his bar.

"She looks scared of us. Think she knows who we are?" Vicrul asked.

"Let's order, and maybe we'll find out," I replied with a smile.