Chapter 21: Sparks Pt. 2

Começar do início

Just then, someone clapped a hand over my eyes. "Gue--"

Already one edge from the glance at the sarcophagus, Pyrkagia lashed out.

I heard a grunt and then a sigh. "I should have known better."

"Yeah, you really should have," I said, spinning around to see Luke sprawled on the floor, my celestial bronze whip wrapped around him. "Sorry, but not sorry."

"Can you release me?" Luke asked in defeat, looking pointedly at the weapon. "I'm not your hostage."

I flicked my wrist and my whip silently slithered back into my hand, wrapping around my right forearm like a snake. Luke glanced warily at it, then at the silver whip curled around my left, and sighed again. "Was that seriously necessary?"

"No," I said, pushing down my nerves from the casket and smirking at him. "But you deserved it."

Luke coughed. "Well, anyway, I was looking for you."

"Oh, really," I deadpanned. A loud explosion sounded above us, and I looked at him in accusation. "Because the fireworks started over an hour ago."

"Aww, you missed me?" he asked, taking my hand in his and pulling me towards the stern.

"Where are you taking me?" I asked. Luke didn't answer, just glanced back and grinned. I sighed, shaking my head, a smile forming on my face.

"Close your eyes," Luke commanded five minutes later as we stopped in front of the double doors leading to the back of the boat.

"Aren't the lifeboats here?" I grumbled, closing my eyes. "What are you doing?"

"Just wait," Luke replied, pulling open the doors and gently guiding me through. "Careful."

"Can I open them now?" I asked as we stopped. From behind my eyelids, I could sense that whatever Luke had led me into was somewhat lit, not bright, but not dim either. From the way the wind carried across the deck, I could feel stuff around me and heard a light tinkle every time a breeze passed.

"Yeah."

I took a deep breath, feeling strangely nervous, and blinked.

And blinked again.

"Oh my gods, Luke, you didn't have to do this," I whispered in awe, stepping forward and reaching up to trail my fingers across the ribbons of light strung across the deck. "It's beautiful."

And beautiful it was. Luke had strung up fairy lights around the deck, gold and coral shining in the dark like a thousand crystals. He'd clearly enlisted Ally's help as well, seeing that delicate green vines curled around the railing, flowers and shrubbery transforming the little corner of the ship into a forest dream.

I pressed my hands to my mouth, feeling a strange emotion surge up in my chest, filling me with warmth. "Luke, you really didn't ha-"

"Nonsense," Luke replied, stepping closer to me and gently pulling my hands from my face. He cupped my cheek, then moved his fingers down to lift my chin, turning my head so his eyes met mine. "I wanted to do this."

My breath caught in my throat as I saw the burning intensity and affection that swam in his eyes, clear as the sky, and tried to look away but Luke's grip was firm. I was keenly aware of his touch on my face, the warmth of his body pressed against mine, the curl of his fingers as he brought up his other hand to cup my neck.

He leaned closer, his eyes never leaving mine, and then stopped, a flicker of amusement crossing his eyes.

"If you're going to kiss me, hurry up with it," I found myself mumbling, a wave of recklessness sweeping through me. It was a strange feeling, but, at that moment, I didn't have a care in the world.