"What happened to Robert?" His voice lost the cold, testy edge it had during the meeting. His question brought back memories of blood and pain.

"He died."

"Does it have anything to do with Martin Malone and his mercenary group?"

It took me a second too long to nod.

"When?" he asked.

"About eleven years ago."

A muscle ticked in his jaw. He'd shaved his beard to a lighter stubble, showcasing a sharp jawline.

"You were what? Fourteen?" he asked. I nodded, and he continued, "you weren't registered in the system until you were sixteen. Where did you spend those two years?"

"What does it have to do with anything?" Those two years were probably the hardest of my life, so far. I didn't feel comfortable sharing them with anyone.

Arthur scratched his jaw, his chair moving forward until his knees were on either side of mine. "You're right. But I still want to know what happened to Malone and his people. How did they disappear?"

"They're dead." Not even a speck of ash remained of their bodies. "Uncle Robert and I killed them all. Uncle Robert didn't survive."

A heavy sigh, then, "will you tell me why Robert Walsh had to take the king's daughter away?"

I rubbed my face with both hands, then looked straight into his eyes. This was the moment of truth. Did I really have a choice, though? Like Amanda said, I had to draw a line somewhere.

Will guarding this secret be my priority? Or will I choose to trust that Arthur, like uncle Robert, wouldn't see me as the abomination that many fear.

"If I tell you that, you'll probably kill me."

Arthur's brows rose a fraction, "I don't think you're capable of doing something that will condemn you to death."

That was flattering. Unfortunately, it was not enough to assuage my fears.

"It's not what I did," I replied, "it's-"

The words stuck in my throat. They felt like heavy rocks I could not budge. Arthur looked resigned.

"Elle." Arthur nudged my knee with his, "this big secret of yours, will it affect me or my people in any way?"

"I don't know." I said, then chuckled, the sound jerky. I was such a coward. I had been kidding myself for long enough, it was time to face the music. "No, that's not true. It will affect your people."

"Do you think you should be executed?" he suddenly asked.

I frowned at him, "you can't ask me that. Of course I'll say no."

He actually rolled his eyes, "just answer the question. Do you think you should be executed?"

"No!" I replied. I liked myself alive, thank you very much.

"Alright. You can keep your secret. But it won't last for long, sooner or later it will come out, be ready for it."

I blinked, "you're just going to take my word for it?"

He sighed, "yes, I'm going to take your word for it, Elle. You would never put an innocent in danger even at the expense of your own life. I trust your judgement that, whatever this secret is, it will not put others at risk."

My shoulders slumped. This went better than expected. I was almost ready to spill the beans. But my relief was short lived, Arthur wasn't done with his interrogation.