I walked to the cafeteria when I ordered an iced americano and a sandwich.

"Sanjana, hey," a male employee called me.

"Urm... Hey," I said as I took a sip of my americano and walked in his direction.

"Would you like to sit with us? I'm Satish by the way,"

"Hey Satish, today it wouldn't be possible, I have some files to go through, I'll come tomorrow okay?"

"Okay," he grinned as I left the group alone and walked to my office.

°

I sat in Rohan's car and surprisingly I didn't feel suffocated as he sat next to me. But I did stiffen as he locked the doors and drove to the hospital. If he noticed my stiffness he didn't say anything about it but I did notice his jaw clench when he saw me flinch when he locked the doors.

"I'm sorry for dragging you here on your second day only but Nisha wasn't there and the others are not really specialised in marital law so I had to ask you," he said as he glanced in my direction.

"It's okay," I said and fisted my hands as the hospital came in the view.

He parked the car and rushed to my side to open the door for me.

"Y-you didn't need to--"

"It's honestly a habit for me, if my ma was here and I hadn't done this, she would have not given me dinner," he said and I chuckled at that.

We walked together and I shivered as the cool hospital air greeted me and my nose was conquered with the strong disinfectant smell.

"We're here to meet Ms. Rashi, we're from the Aequitas Firm,"

"Room number 301," the receptionist said.

We took the lift and walked towards the ward in silence.

Breath in, breath out. Calm down, no one's going to do anything. I told myself internally.

"Are you okay?" Rohan asked me as he stared at me and tooka step closer to me.

"Yeah," I said and started walking towards the room only to halt when I noticed people sitting outside the room. There was about four people, three women and one man.

"Thank you so much for coming Mr. Rohan, I cannot tell you how thankful I am that you came on such a short notice, I will forever be indebted to you," the man said, tears in his eyes as he held Rohan's hand.

I didn't hear what Rohan said because I was busy calming myself. He opened the door to the room and we both walked in.

I took a sharp intake of breath when I stared at the scene in front of me. Rohan gave me a concerned look but I ignored him as I walked towards the lady on the bed, Ms. Rashi. It was as if I was in a trance as I walked towards her.

I could feel the familiar sting of tears but I blinked my eyes furiously. I couldn't afford to cry in front of a victim. I had to be strong. If not for her, for myself, because having a mental breakdown here would only do more damage.

"Hi Rashi," I said softly and she turned to look at me and gave me a soft, barely present smile.

"I am your lawyer, Sanjana and that is my senior Mr. Rohan," I said as I sat next to her. She just blinked her eyes, her battered bluish purple eyes.

"Can she talk?" I asked to a lady sitting next to Rashi, who I assumed was her mother.

"Yes I think so," she said.

On the way Rohan had also briefed me that she was a victim of domestic abuse and two nights ago her husband had almost beat her to death, assaulting her in every way possible.