"You know what, sugar. What's goin' on?"

I shut my eyes for a second, trying to keep the emotion from pouring out of my eyes. "I just... We didn't get along much before.  She probably hates me now."

"Why on Earth.."

"Because," I interrupted. "I knew dad was alive and didn't tell her. I kept that from her while she was still mournin' him. I spent time with him while she was still missin' him. I feel so...guilty."

Gigi let out a big sigh before pulling me into a hug. "Your mom could never hate you. I'm sure she understands why you guys kept it from her. She's just happy to have him back."

"I am," my mom spoke from behind me. My mom stood there with her hand in my dad's. I pulled away from Gigi.

"Werewolf hearin'." My dad tapped his ear.

"Oh.."

My mom stepped towards me. "Rae.. I don't hate you. I'm not mad at you either. I know that y'all thought that it would keep me safe. I'm just happy to have him back now. If anythin', I'm mad at him."

"Hey!" My dad's head snapped towards my mom.

She laughed. "Why did you get yourself turned into a werewolf for?"

"Like I had a choice in that matter, honey," my dad mumbled.

My mom turned back towards me and then gave me a hug. She whispered into my ear, "I could never hate you. I know we bicker to high heaven, but I do love you."

Tears fell down my cheek as I squeezed her tighter. I got the closure I needed.  "I love you too, mom."

She pulled away and wiped the tears from her eyes. "Now that is settled, I think that someone wants to talk to you." She turned her attention to behind me.

Rhett's green eyes bore into mine. His hair was west from the drizzle, sticking to his forehead, and his black, button-up shirt was clinging to his body.

Gigi handed me an umbrella. "We will be inside the house." My parents were already walking away.

I nodded and walked over to Rhett, sharing my umbrella with him.

He glanced up and smirked. "I think it's a little to late for that."

I laughed and looked over his wet body. "Probably."

He was quiet for a few moments and then his face turned more serious. "How have you been? I haven't seen you since..." he trailed off.

I knew what he was referring to. I've been with Molly the last week, helping her get through this. "I'm okay."

"What about Molly?"

"She's gettin' better." I looked over at her and Savannah. Savannah was hugging her as Molly cried next to the grave. "I can't imagine what she's feelin'. She really cared for him. He was the first boy she ever loved..."

"Losin' someone you love is one of the worst pains you can feel. When I lost my mom, I—," he paused and took a breath. "I was a mess for a long time. It's not somethin' I would wish on anyone. But, I had the pack and my dad to help me. She's lucky to have that with y'all too. It's goin' to be hard, but it gets easier with time."

I grabbed his hand and stared into his eyes. "She has that with you too, you know. Your pack just got a little bigger.  Well, at least until graduation."

Rhett let out a breathy laugh. "Lucky me."

"Yeah, lucky you," I agreed with a smile. I tucked a strand of wet hair behind my ear.

Rhett reached up and tucked the other side. His hand lingered there for a few moments until he leaned in and ever so softly, met my lips with his. They brushed against mine, sending butterflies through my body. It was only a few seconds, but it felt longer, and when he pulled away, I was left breathless.

His eyes were now glowing. "You truly don't know how lucky I am, Rae Haywood. You're somethin' else."

I know my cheeks were turning red, so I looked away. He tilted my chin to look at him again, and it was like all the sound besides my heartbeat dissipated.

That's when I knew that Rhett was the first boy  that I ever loved. Not Wesley, him. This wasn't some school boy crush or infatuation. The connection with Rhett is real—supernatural.

"I mean it, darlin'."

I smiled before closing the space between us, causing butterflies to wreak havoc again.

I never would have thought that I would be here with Rhett. Life has been full of surprises. Some bad, but many good. It has taught me that through all the darkness, there's a moon and there's stars to light a way. For me, seeing Rhett in the parking lot that one day was a path that led me to him and to my family, and I'm so grateful for that.

I'm also grateful for the second miracle that would come the next day.

•••
A/N:

I know I left you guys hanging! I'm sorry! One more chapter left I think, unless the one turns into two. I'm so excited to finally finish it for you guys! Thank you for reading!