iii. The Trapper Traps the Trapper

Start from the beginning

    "What?!" Snotlout exclaimed, slouching in his disbelief. Astrid crossed her arms, if not a little smug. "That's crazy! What's the point?!"

    "To work on our stealth skills and our Wild Dragon Defense," argued Astrid.

    Valkyrie groaned, knowing she was right. "I feel sick, can I stay out of this one?"

    Hiccup gave her an amused look. "Val..."

    "My ribs hurt."

    "No, they don't."

     She threw her head back up to the sky, turning back to Zephyr and deciding to complain to him instead.

    "Astrid's right," continued Hiccup. "We all know how strong we are with our dragons, but we have to be able to survive and defend ourselves if we ever get separated from them."

    "Trust me!" said Astrid, grinning. "It'll be fun!"

    Val tried again, holding up her hand. "I already know how to defend myself, unlike these idiots━" she pointed to the Twins in particular. "Does that mean I already pass the test?"

    "Is she pointing at us?" Tuffnut turned to his sister. "I think she's pointing at us."

    Valkyrie crossed her arms, rolling her eyes. "See what I mean?"

     Hiccup frowned at her, a little concerned. But he didn't say anything until the others left, groaning and complaining the entire time. She was fixing up Zephyr's saddle to leave, too, until he set a hand on her shoulder and made her glance back.

    "You all right?" he asked her. "You usually love these missions."

    Valkyrie pursed her lips. She wasn't sure whether she could tell him, or how to exactly explain it. She did enjoy these type of missions, but ... she just liked them when they were having fun, learning about dragons, without much to worry. Now, it was different. The freedom she felt by flying and laughing and enjoying her time with her friends was now filled with frustration, determination and a possible war. It made Valkyrie feel like she was caged again like she had been before when she didn't even realise it. It also made her feel guilty, because this was her job as a Dragon Rider, now. This was the truth they were in, and she was trained to be a soldier. Her name was Valkyrie.

     But she was also a teenage girl. A teenage girl who for once in her life didn't feel weighed by expectations, who could make her flower crowns, hug her boyfriend, and fly dragons. She didn't want to go back to being a soldier, not yet. But she had to, and she needed to realise that. She needed to find a middle ground, but she didn't know how to.

    Val didn't say anything, she just held out her arms. Hiccup frowned, but stepped forward and pulled her into a hug. She sighed into his fleece vest, closing her eyes for a second and just letting herself feel his arms around her.

    "I'm just tired," she decided to lie, mumbling. Hiccup squeezed her gently, listening. "There's a sick Monstrous Nightmare that kept us awake all night..."

     She pulled away and forced a smile on her face, but Hiccup was still frowning, worried. Not wanting him to be like this for the rest of the day, she decided to tease him. Pinching his sides, she giggled when he squirmed.

    "Hey," he let out, trying to grab her hands. "What was that for."

    "What was what?" Valkyrie feigned innocence before pinching him gently again.

    "Stop it━" he found her hands, grinning and holding them together. Valkyrie was light-hearted, giggling as he tugged her close, keeping her from pinching him again.