Chapter six

She was eavesdropping.

Genya had been strange all day long as if she had to do something and she'd hold back from doing so.

When she excused herself from their little meeting after Alina's lessons and went out of the room, Alina followed her.

Her path led to the Darkling chambers.

It could have been suspicious for a servant to go into the Darkling's rooms by herself but Alina wouldn't doubt her intentions and his on this kind of matter.

She was primarily Grisha and he was her General. Genya's only feelings for the Darkling were loyalty and awe.

And well, there was also David's matter...

Alina stood at the end of the corridor and since she didn't want to reveal her presence to him in any possible way she tried as much as she could to feel all of his thoughts without being too... intrusive? Even she didn't know how to explain it.

It took just a little more concentration and something clicked in her mind.

And then it hit her.

A spate of thoughts invested her. Her mind ached, her head ached.

Too much was pouring into her mind. Decades full of memories, centuries.

Alina couldn't believe it, she just couldn't.

Random memories started presenting to her as if they were her own, melted together and faded after years but still memories.

He had been little and mischievous, hurt, happy, alone, he had killed, he had loved, he had changed, felt helpless, hopeful.

He had lived lives full of emotions and had always tried to suppress them.

He had gone by many names.

He had regretted doing certain things and not doing others.

But he hadn't regretted creating the fold, he hadn't regretted killing tones of people to achieve his purposes.

He hadn't and still didn't regret lying to her and manipulating her.

He was...

Alina staggered to the nearest wall and braced herself, her head was exploding. She could barely breathe.

She tried to concentrate on his current thoughts and slowly she started to breathe again.

-----------------------------

Genya was becoming too attached to his Alina.

Every time she went to him for reports, she told him that Alina was happy but that the happiest she was now, the worst she would feel when she'd found out every secret he was hiding.

She was right, he knew it. He would feed Alina a piece at a time, but he wasn't sure of how to begin.

"Don't you have something else to report?" he asked frustrated. He knew he had to deal with Alina's... problem, but he had time for that, though he already had an idea.

But he had no idea about his mother's strange behaviour and it had put him over the edge. What was that old hag doing in secret? She obviously had used her power but he didn't know if for defence of attack. What would provoke her to use her shadows?

"Yes, the Tsar is taking every drop of it," she said almost whispering but with a proud voice.
That woke him up from his thoughts.
"Good."

"How long do you think it will take you to finish the second bottle?" he asked.

The person who procured him the poison had dosed it to let the receiver unaffected until the end of the second bottle of it, and when the third bottle, composed of only a few drops, was given, it started to rapidly weaken the subject and in the end, kill it.

"A month, not more."

"Good, you can go now," he said closing his eyes and nodding.

"Yes, moi soverennyi." She lightly bowed her head and turned to the door.

"Genya," he called her.

"Yes."

"I want to remind you that when this is over, you'll be free, from the palace and me. Wherever you want to go, you'll have economic support."

"I'm loyal to you, moi soverennyi, I'll follow you in your mission to save this world from men like the king and his son."

She didn't hesitate, she knew that she was Grisha ad belonged with them at Little Palace, and maybe one day in the royal palace to serve at the Darkling's behest.

"That's what I wanted to hear," he then nodded, but it was almost a bow of his own head.

Genya was one of his best Grisha and wouldn't disappoint him. He knew he had asked her a lot in the past years and he was ready to compensate her with the freedom she deserved.

He knew she would stay, though. If not for him and his mission, for David and also for Alina now.

------------------

Alina returned fully into her head and shut her eyes tightly trying to block every feeling she could have at that moment.

The moment her head stopped hurting she felt a beautiful sensation. It was like she had swum in his mind.

But she didn't want to. Why? Why did she saw that?

She heard the sound of a door opening and she straightened up.

Genya was coming out of the room and she had to go before she could see her.

Notes:

This chapter is pretty short but really has a plot twist.

What do you think? Will Alina stay at the Little Palace or will she run?

I would really like to know your opinion so share it in the comment!

Another chapter will be out the next week, so stay tuned!

-Flora