Chapter one

Notes:
This little story is strictly related to the TV series (though I read the trilogy and may be influenced by it).
I wrote 2 other fictions that I think come along with this, they are in my Series The Darkling's thoughts, though you don't have to read them before this. This story's not only from Aleksander's point of view but also from Alina's (although I must admit I have a soft spot for Aleksander's POV).
This is my third English fiction. English is not my primary language, so bear with me and please tell me if there's any mistake.

But now (19 July 2022) I have a Beta!!!

————-

After thinking of what happened that night, and what could still happen, Alina was a little dazed. She waited for Aleksander for what seemed like hours. It was probably fifteen minutes.
All the emotions of the day and her little demonstration got the better of her and she was exhausted.
Alina took the liberty to use his bed and she did so without even contemplating the chamber. She took off her boots and dozed off.

————————

Later, Aleksander came back to his room and asked the guard if she'd gone away. After hearing the negative answer, he dismissed him.
When he entered, closing the door behind him, and did not find her in the main room he felt his heartbeat speeding, he didn't know if it was fear that she wasn't there or excitement that she could be in his chamber.
"Alina?" He knocked on the table to announce himself but she didn't answer. He went into his bedroom and realised he was extremely glad to find her there in his bed.
She was sleeping in his bed, so calm and serene, like nobody had just made an attempt on her life.
She had stripped off her black kefta that was now covering her upper body like a blanket. So beautiful.
He put a knee on the mattress and approached her, touching her shoulder lightly to wake her up.
"Alina" he whispered.
She slowly opened her eyes and looked up at him, "You're here," she said softly smiling.
"You're here too," Aleksander said smiling back.
"I told you that I would wait for you," she said rubbing her eyes. Meanwhile, he took off his boots and got on the bed, lying down facing her.

He smelled like the day he saved her. It wasn't a bad smell but something was... grim. She didn't know how to describe it. It was like he smelled of death.
"Did you... did you just kill someone?" She asked lightly. She didn't know how, but that was the truth.
He really didn't expect that question and his eyes went wide and that was her confirmation. She lowered her eyes.
They were on his bed, lying down one in front of the other. She was right in front of him; it was too late for Aleksander to deny, so he asked her, "How can you tell?"
After a few seconds of hesitation she answered, "I really don't know, it's more of a sensation. Like I could smell it on you. I felt the same thing when you saved me in the forest."
He was quiet, looking at her impassively, but his head was full of questions and excuses.
"So... what happened?" she asked stretching a hand towards his face and lightly brushing his cheek.
He gulped, he didn't expect her to have that reaction after his confirmation. He thought she would recoil from him. Instead, it was as if she didn't blame him for killing a person, as if she trusted him to do what was necessary.
"Someone tried to kill you tonight... he was hired by a man in West Ravka." He knew he had to tell her that the Inferni was dead but didn't want to.
"He wasn't alone, there were three people with him that wanted to abduct you, Alina."
"Did anyone get hurt?" She asked frowning anxiously.
"Of course, you would be more worried about other's lives and not your own", he told her trying to deflect the question.
"I know I'm safe here, but I can't know about others," she said matter-of-factly.
He crawled closer to her, putting a hand on her hip, drawing her to him.
"Do you feel safe here?" He asked. They both knew he meant both in Little Palace and with him.