Chapter 6: Old friends

Nox POV
Present day

The kingdom's palace was a mountain of white stone and little glass windows. As if there wasn't enough space on earth for the building, it's twisting towers and golden spires reached high, engulfing the sky. Red roses plastered the stone walls, creeping around the whole palace like it was trying to consume it. Everything in the centre was greedy, even the plant life. Nox walked through a door into one small part of the palace. Reapers of all standings passed up and down the long corridor. The red carpet leading the way to the collection office. At the end of the corridor was a large room full of desks and papers. Reapers stood in front of the desks handing over the black soul stones in exchange for their money. Guards and reapers who worked for the royal family or the families of lords and ladies living in the centre ring, stood watch over the room. Nox took in the feel of everyone's energy and kept an eye on everything going on as he walked towards an available woman behind her desk.

"Name?" The young woman said without looking up, as she held her pen over a piece of paper waiting for an answer.

"Nox." He answered. Checking another piece of paper the woman looked up realising who was standing before her. A silent second passed before she continued with a cough.

"Stones...please." With another look towards his hooded figure she seemed to add the please like she was worried he might kill her for being impolite. Nox supposed he'd killed for less but killing only seemed like a hassle right now. Nox handed the woman the little black stones full of life energy and took the leather pouch of coins from her in return. Not wasting another second in the palace, Nox turned around and left.

The streets were quiet as Nox stepped out. Not a pickpocket or starving child to be seen in the spotless capital. Everything in the centre ring exaggerated the differences between the rings. The sun didn't heat the dead bodies lining the streets for the wind to carry the stench from home to home, instead in the centre it smiled down welcoming ladies and lords into the sparkling streets. Everyone in this place reminded Nox of memories he didn't want to remember. Memories he had spent years burying in blood and death. With the familiar feeling of anger crawling up his body like a flame swallowing all in its path, Nox headed towards the gate. He would get his bike from the first ring and head home before he did something that couldn't be undone.

"Well, well, well. If it isn't the most handsome devil in the kingdom! Oh and look Nox, you're here too." With a deep chuckle that Nox recognised, he turned to face his old teacher. The big muscular man looked pretty much the same as the last time they'd met. His shaggy blonde hair as messy and unkept as ever. Golden stubble covered his face making him look even older. He wore a tight fitting t shirt, leaving no ridge or dip of his muscles to the imagination. Nox's old teacher was in his late thirties but his mentality hadn't aged past that of a fifteen year old boy.

"What an unwelcome surprise." Nox stated blankly. With a broad smile the oversized man child walked up to Nox throwing a tree trunk of an arm over his shoulder. Still keeping his aura hardened, he allowed the man to get close.

"It's a good thing I bumped into you kiddo. There's been some rumours going around that might interest you. Let's get something to eat first shall we?" Sweeping his other arm out in an arc he dragged Nox towards the soldiers quarter of town. What a pain.