˗ˋ 90

CHAPTER NINETY

-: seventh year :-

── IN WHICH THE UNDERSECRETARY
TALKS MINISTRY NONSENSE

. . .

"This doesn't usually happen, does it?" Elodie was leaning forward in her seat to try and get a better look at Umbridge, in her bright pink nightmare of an outfit. 

"I don't think I've ever heard of Dumbledore being interrupted. Except from that time Quirrel found a troll in the dungeons." Angelina chimed in, reinforcing the idea that it most definitely wasn't usual at all. 

"Let alone be interrupted by someone who hasn't even taught a single lesson here." Fred's expression had darkened significantly since Umbridge cut off whatever Dumbledore was saying about Quidditch. "I can see maybe McGonagall stopping it to say something, but only if it was really important."

"I doubt that someone dressed like that has anything important to say." George had the exact same expression of annoyed bewilderment as his twin. 

It wasn't just the many students of Hogwarts that weren't incredibly impressed with Umbridge's decision to not wait until the end to say what she needed to say, but the teachers as well; McGonagall's eyebrows had risen up into her hairline, Sprout's lips had pursued, Flitwick was stood up in his seat and still only managed to just look over the table top. Snape's expression hadn't changed, but somehow he looked more annoyed than usual.

If Umbridge was looking for shock factor, she certainly had recieved it.

"Thank you, Headmaster," Professor Umbridge simpered, "for those kind words of welcome." Her voice was of such a breathy, girly quality that Fred and George were instantly laughing, imitating her perfectly within seconds.

"Well, it is lovely to be back at Hogwarts, I must say!" She smiled, revealing very pointed teeth. "And to see such happy little faces looking back at me!"

Elodie felt a small success when she found that absolutely nobody had caved in and smiled back at her to relieve the embarassment of Umbridge's words being a complete lie. Absolutely nobody looked happy.

However, many faces did display expressions of confusion, disgust, horror and the rather exact look one would get on their face after finding that their crup puppy had thrown up on their chintz carpet. 

"I am very much looking forward to getting to know you all,and I'm sure we'll be very good friends!" The frog-like woman continued, not at all dazed by the sight. Umbridge's voice was bright and cheery, and so fake.

She was talking to them as if they were children, and not a single one of the students appreciated it and acted exactly like it. Their lack of respect for her was growing, and chatter broke out across the hall, disregarding that a new teacher was addressing them.

"Because that's a real way to gather respect." Elodie wrinkled her nose. "I don't think I've ever heard someone be that condescending. Monsieur Lavigne wasn't even that bad." 

Once again, the annoying noise of Umbridge clearing her throat echoed around the hall, the girly "Hem, hem," somehow louder than the student's conversations. But when she continued, the girliness and the breathiness seemed to have worn off, she sounded much more business-like and actually like a grown adult woman, even if her height contested against that.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. There are gifts with which you were born may come to nothing if not nurtured and honed by careful instruction. The ancient skills unique to the Wizarding community must be passed down through the generations lest we lose them forever. The treasure trove of magical knowledge amassed by our ancestors must be guarded, replenished, and polished by those who have been called to the noble profession of teaching." Umbridge paused, turning to the staff at the table and bowing at them, trying to garner some respect through acknowledging them, although she had none from the students.

"Every headmaster and headmistress of Hogwarts has brought something new to the weighty task of governing this historic school, and that is as it should be, for without progress there will be stagnation and decay. There again, progress for progress's sake must be discouraged, for our tried and tested traditions often require no tinkering. A balance, then, between old and new, between permanence and change, between tradition and innovation..." Umbridge continued, but the words were seeming to become a blur.

Elodie furrowed her eyebrows. Despite her skills in English there were points when her understanding slipped. And Umbridge was saying so much, throwing so much information in her face that her brain was working on overdrive to try and translate and understand everything. 

She forced her attention back to Umbridge.

"... because some changes will be for the better, while others will come, in the fullness of time, to be recognized as errors of judgment. Meanwhile, some old habits will be retained, and rightly so, whereas others, outmoded and outworn, must be abandoned. Let us move forward, then, into a new era of openness, effectiveness, and accountability, intent on preserving what ought to be preserved, perfecting what needs to be perfected, and pruning wherever we find practices that ought to be prohibited." Umbridge finally sat down, and a spattering of applause could be heard.

Elodie's hands remained firmly by her side, not a single noise of clapping coming from her section of the table. She hadn't been able to get all the information she could, words eventually becoming one big blur, but one thing was for sure.

Her final year of Wizarding School at Hogwarts was perhaps going to be a lot different to how she imagined.