˗ˋ 55

CHAPTER FIFTY FIVE

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH THEY FINALLY GET TO THE LIBRARY

. . .

"So how exactly are we planning on getting in and out of the library?" Elodie asked, as they climbed up the stairs from the kitchen. "Because last time we had to get out through that tunnel and I'm not going to like I didn't love it." 

A shiver ran through the girl's body, and the twins looked back at her, Fred reaching and pulling her up the last few stairs, wrapping his arm around her shoulder for just a moment before letting her stand upright again, not wanting to make George too uncomfy. 

"If you're planning on staying here, love, then you might have to get used to it." Fred said. "Unless you want to be excluded from our little night outings?" 

"Fred, come on. You know that tunnel isn't the nicest." George said. "It's not been used in years, but we probably won't have to use it again." 

"I wasn't meaning it like that." The other twin said, a frown appearing on his features. "I was just saying that if we happen to get stuck in the library, that might be our only option."

"And I'm fine with that." Elodie butted in just as George was about to reply. "I'm fine with using that tunnel, but only if it's the only option we have. Like with Filch - if that sort of thing happens again, it's fine. But can we just take the door or something?" 

"That we can do." George said, the three of them turning down the corridor and heading to the doors into the library and he pulled out a ring of keys, peering at each one until he landed on a particularly large and ornate one. 

He put it in the lock and twisted it, opening the door. The three of them entered the library, George shutting the door behind them and locking it, the click making Elodie turn around. "Just a precaution. If Pince turns up early and goes to unlock it and finds that it already is, then well, we're in trouble."

The Beaumont girl nodded, understanding the situation. They three of them spread across the library, looking for any book they thought that could help her. Well, that was what Elodie was doing, but as she passed one of the aisles that Fred was in, stood up on his tiptoes, fingers trailing across the spines of books until he found he one he was looking for - and with a slip of parchment in his hands.

He tugged the book off of the shelf, scanning the cover and comparing it to something that he had written on the scrap of parchment. Which was when Elodie realised that he actually had a list of books.

The biggest grin appeared on her face as she moved quickly away from the aisle he was down, disappearing into one flooded with the early morning sun. The smile only grew bigger and a feeling of giddiness overwhelmed her, and she had to stop herself from jumping around in joy. 

She heard footsteps approaching and quickly busied herself, tugging one of the books off of the shelf and opening it, trying not to cough at the cloud of dust that sprang from the pages. 

"You're think about the wrong task there." Elodie peered up from the book, before properly reading the title and realising it was about aquatic magical creatures. Fred moved down the aisle, leaning on the bookcase across from there. "What's got you so smiley?" He asked.

"Nothing, I'm just happy." Elodie replied, mirroring his actions and leaning against the bookcase, looking up at him. The ends of their feet touched, and it seemed to make Elodie smile even more.

"You weirdo." Fred laughed, reaching over and messing up her hair, the girl frowning and trying to sort out the mess he had created. "Here, I did it, I'll get it back to normal." Fred stood up properly, leaning across and gently prying Elodie's shoulders away from the shelf, fully standing her up and turning her around, his hands combing through her dark hair. 

"You smell nice." He said moments later. "Your hair - it smells like.. I'm not sure."

"It's a veela shampoo that Fleur gave me ages ago - you know how they're all.. you know?"  She asked, and Fred hummed, indicating he knew what she meant. "It's supposed to smell of some flower that they use to add to their.. allure."

If Elodie was facing Fred, he would've seen the blush covering her cheeks. 

"It's nice." He continued. "You know I never actually asked you-" 

"Hey you two." George said, roudning the corner. "Whilst you were playing hair dresser in the corner, I finished getting the books from the list."

"Thanks." Fred said, pulling his hands away. "All better now." He said, tucking a strand behind her ear, looking liike wanted to say something else before he took her hand, pulling her out of the corner.

"Come on, we have to go back to Breakfast so we aren't suspicious, then we have Transfiguration to get to." George said, the two others nodding as they headed towards the library door. 

Finally having the things they needed for Fred and George help Elodie win the third task.

✧