And as we got headier in the kiss, I faintly reminded myself of two things: I didn't need explanations and only a fool could fall for this man twice and I wasn't a fool. Right?

***

My hand moved the mouse across the pad and I clicked on the site that appeared on the screen. Once it opened, a full image of William, in a gray three piece tuxedo, standing on a stage popped up. It was from last night's gala. He'd looked like a model straight off a GQ magazine. I hadn't told him that of course.

-

"You look beautiful."

I dropped the red lipstick I'd been holding and through the mirror stared at the door. William stood there, looking like a dream. My gaze dropped to the black dress I had on. It was tight, long sleeved with a V shaped neckline and went down mid-calf. My hair was tied up in a bun but some stubborn strands had already managed to escape.

"In this old thing?" I bent to wear my heels.

"You bring it to life," he chuckled and in a few strides, reached me where I now stood beside the bed.

"You don't look too bad yourself. You were even able to dress yourself up today." I patted his chest mockingly. The smile in his eyes told me he knew exactly what I was referring to. That first gala. What a nightmare that day had been.

"I even had no delays with my wardrobe this time." He had the nerve to say.

I scoffed, "Go on, blame me for everything."

"It wasn't your fault?" His lips twitched and I scowled.

Wearing a full smile, he took my hands into his. I eyed the movement skeptically before staring up at him. His gaze held mine.

"I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"A lot of things," he chuckled, "but specifically for being purposely overbearing."

"Purposely? I thought it was natural." I half joked and he smiled again. His hand moved and I already knew it was to brush away the stray strands from my face. He liked doing that.

"Walking into that boardroom and seeing you for the first time in years, do you know what my second thought was?"

I shook my head although I had a few ideas.

"I wanted you to quit." His tone was almost bashful.

"That wasn't the first?" I asked and meant it. "Or was the first 'I hate her' then 'she needs to quit' then again, I was surprised you didn't fire me on the spot." I went on.

"I've never hated you Ophelia."

Those five words sounded more shrill than glass shattering. I broke away from him, ending up on the bed.

"I don't believe you." My voice was low.

"I know you don't." He sighed and sat next to me on the bed.

I couldn't believe him. Because if he'd never hated me then why? Why did he want me to quit? Why did he end- I blanched at that. What was his first thought? It was all at the tip of my tongue.

"Let's say I did want explanations. Would you give me, right now?" Was what left my mouth instead.

"Do you now want them?"

"Even if I did, I don't think you'd tell me so no, I still don't want them."

Looking at him, I knew I was right. He wouldn't have told me. Not yet and maybe not ever. But how could I believe him otherwise?