Chapter Thirty-Seven - Picking up Scents

Start from the beginning

"Alpha Reid is here," I interrupted, my voice shaky. "He's in Missoula."

"Where are you right now? Are you safe?" Luca asked quickly, his tone immediately changing.

"We're okay. We're on the way home now. I think he was just here to warn me," I said slowly, feeling the tears return to my eyes.

"What did he say to you? Is he still there?"

"No," I answered. "He's gone. He told me we had a week and then he couldn't stop him. I'm assuming he's talking about my dad..."

"Listen to me. We'll figure this out when you get home. Are you guys safe now?"

"Yes, I think so," I breathed out.

"Okay. That's all that matters to me right now. Just make sure no one's following you as you get closer to the pack. I'll meet you at the border when you get here."

"Luca, do you think that means he's going to authorize the raid?" I whispered.

"Worry about one thing at a time, amore. We'll talk about it when you get home, just focus on getting here safely. Okay?" Luca said.

"Okay."

"I love you," he said.

I couldn't help but smile briefly.

"I love you, too."

After we had ended the call, I looked down and noticed my hands were still shaking and I wrung them out.

"What the fuck just happened?" Hanna asked.

"Language!" Norah exclaimed, turning to shoot Hanna a stern expression.

Hanna just shrugged.

Norah looked at me warily.

"Why would he come all the way here just to warn you?" Norah asked me. "And how the hell did he find us?"

"Language," Hanna mumbled.

Norah glared at her in the rearview mirror.

"I don't know," I said, shaking my head. "I have a weird feeling about it."

We drove the rest of the way home in silence. By the time we got to the borders, the sun had nearly set completely and I had a splitting headache from worrying about Alpha Reid's ominous warning.

Luca's truck was parked on the road behind the gate and he got out as soon as we'd pulled up to it; his truck's headlights spotlighting the Jeep as we parked outside the gate.

Norah, Hanna, and I loaded out of the car as Blaine and his security crew surrounded the Jeep and began to search through every crevice.

Luca reached out and pulled me into his arms, kissing the top of my head.

"You're okay?" He asked, extending the question to Norah and Hanna as well.

They both nodded.

"What are they looking for?" I asked, watching Blaine and his team.

"It's just a precaution," Luca assured me.

Luca pulled away slightly, give me a wary look.

"What happened? Why is his scent all over you?" He asked.

"I hugged him."

He cocked an eyebrow before pulling me back into his chest, holding me tighter.

"Selfishly, I don't like that," he admitted.

"He just looked so broken... I couldn't hardly help it," I said, still able to see the exhausted and dejected expression Alpha Reid had worn. "I've never seen him like that before."