She was dressed in a blue floor length dress that had a dipped v neck. Her hair was perfectly made and tied up with flower patterned ribbons. Her wrists and neck were adorned with glittering gold accessories.

On first sight, one would immediately know the category she belonged to -The Elite.

"I answered you, ma." Victoria tried to keep out any form of annoyance from her voice.

"So you mean I'm deaf?!"

"No. No ma'am."

"What did you mean, then?" The lady placed an arm on her hip, cocking her head to the side in the process.

"I didn't mean anything, ma"

"And now she's lying. First, you ignore me. Second, you insult me and now you're lying! Give me one good reason why I shouldn't punish you." She placed another arm on her hip.

"I'm sorry, ma"

"You will be. When I'm done with you," The lady looked away thoughtfully. She nodded her head when she seemed to make a decision. "Now, go to the kitchen and scrub the tiles."

Scrub the tiles?

Was Aunt Katherine out of her mind?! The kitchen was huge! And she wanted her to scrub the tiles.

The tiles!

They weren't even dirty! She had just mopped them that morning.

"But, ma-"

She cut her off. "Now!"

"Yes aunty."

With shaky steps, Victoria walked towards the large kitchen. She'd just finished doing the dishes and mopping the floors when she settled with a book to read and now she had to continue.

Where does she start?

With a quiet sigh, she picked up the tiny brush that her aunt had thrown at her and began doing the cleaning.

~

Hours of scrubbing later.

Literally.

She collapsed in the kitchen floor. Her hands were shaky and her legs, tired.

"I'd much rather be reading a book instead of this!" She grumbled quietly.

The sound of rapid steps pierced into the air. The clicking of heels against the tiled floor was loud and sharp.

Here she comes! Ugh.

Quickly packing up her cleaning materials, she dumped it all in the closet and began to walk out.

"Are you done?!"

When does she never shout?

"Yes ma."

"Good," she said, looking around to confirm. When she found no faults, she continued. "Listen. Your uncle will be back soon. I want you to go freshen up and wear something nice."

"Okay."

"And turn that frown to a smile."

Yay! Time for pretence!

Victoria raced up the stairs. Her day had been hectic and she hadn't even been allowed to read the novel she wanted to. But on the bright side, her uncle was coming so yay!