Chapter 37

Calli

"Calli?! Oh my God Calli please tell me you're alive." Layla yells frantically from the other side of the room. I groan in response and push myself up to a sitting position.

"Well I can still hear you so I'm assuming I'm alive, Luna." I say sarcastically and she huffs out a laugh.

"Oh thank God. I'd hate to make it out of here alive only for Finn to kill me." She responds and I look over at Paul's still form.

His eyes are open and blank, and half of his skull is missing where the bullet tried to exit. The back wall is splattered with his blood and brain matter, as well as half of Layla.

The image of his skull exploding from impact will stay with me forever.

"Let's get the fuck out of here. I hate this place." I murmur and Layla nods.

"Yes, please." She responds and I walk over to her to help boost her off the bed.

She stands and slings her arm around my shoulder as I help her to the door. I turn around to survey the inside of the cabin one last time before I close the door for what I know will be the last time.

We start the slow trek towards the car, it seems so much further away now than when I originally parked it. I have no idea how long I've been here, but it's still dark and the wind on this hill is strong and bitterly cold. I feel my limbs begin to shake and my teeth clatter audibly. Layla wraps both of her arms around me and rubs against my shoulders.

"Sorry, I'm so weak I barely have any extra heat to spare." She says as she tries to push herself towards the car faster.

"No offense, but ever since meeting you werewolves I don't really like nature anymore."

"I can't say I blame you." She chuckles a little then groans.

"Are you hurt?" I ask her eyeing her with concern and she shakes her head.

"No, but he gave me wolfsbane. It's practically a poison for werewolves. That's why I'm so weak. I should have been able to tear through those ropes no problem." She says and I see her eyes begin to brim with tears.

"Did he..." I start to inquire and she shakes her head vehemently.

"No. But he did... touch me. I feel so dirty, Calli. I swear I can still feel his hands all over me. How is Ian ever going to be able to look at me again?" She sobs as I help her into the back seat of the car. I take her face in mine and wipe her tears away before forcing her to look at me.

"I know exactly how you feel, Layla." Her eyes pop up to mine, wide in disbelief.

"Really?" She asks and I nod.

"Yes. And let's just say he actually got what he wanted with me." She cocks her head to the side and fresh tears fall down her face.

"Oh, Calli. I'm so sorry. You must think I'm so pathetic for being upset about his wandering hands." I shake my head firmly and pierce her with a firm stare.

"No. I'm not minimizing your suffering. What you went through is traumatic. But I want you to see with your own eyes that it does get better. We never forget, but we can move on. Ian will still love you no matter what. He will still accept you and think you're beautiful. All he wants is to have you back." She nods and takes a shaky breath before wiping her eyes and sliding back into the car and laying down on the passenger seat.

"Can we go home, Calli?" She asks me quietly and I nod.

"I would appreciate it if you would put on a seatbelt though. If I went through all of this effort to get you back only to have you die in a car accident, I'm gonna be pretty pissed." She laughs before sitting up and clicking her belt into place and leaning back against the seat.