Chapter 26

Zack

I don't know what she was thinking but Claire full on attacked Gabriel. I was worried that he was going to hurt her but I think she realizes that he won't. One thing Gabriel takes very seriously is what we were created for. Fortunately for Claire, we are supposed to cherish and protect humans. He may want to hurt her but the only way he would be able to do that is if she was a threat to the world or very evil. Neither of which really described her.

She sure has a lot of spunk in such a tiny package. When the guys heard the commotion they all rushed in. Jeremiah and Alex quickly restrained her and took her from the room as she yelled, "Could a thing throw the lamp at your head like that "Mr. Grumpy Pants?"

Liam and Jasper were too busy trying to hold their laughs in. I could tell they were struggling and I have to admit it was really funny watching Gabriel run and dodge things that Claire was throwing in his direction. She might be a little crazy but she grows on you after a while. I can imagine that the guys are having fun trying to calm her down right now.

"I'm sorry she's kind of a loose cannon at times." I sheepishly explain to Gabriel.

"Kind of! I'd say she's a big bomb waiting to explode. Explain to me again why she has to stay." He bellows.

"Well she was dating Calvin, one of Lily's friends, and he was working for Azael. I'm not sure how he managed to fool us into thinking he was human. I knew something was off about him but I didn't think it was anything that major." I say with a wince.

"I know how he got passed your radar. You were too busy trying to get into her pants. I'm very disappointed with you right now. I never thought that I would have to worry about you crossing that line. We have to put our wants and desires to the side Zachariah. We are supposed to make sure that everything is as it should be. Now we have a colossal mess and I'm not sure how we are going to clean it up." He says very seriously.

All at once guilt for failing him and everyone hits me. He's right I have always been known to have a good head on my shoulders. That's why he picked me to lead the others. I don't know how exactly I got so far off track but it's too late to go back now. I've fallen for Lily and I'll do whatever it takes to keep her safe. I just need to figure out how to do it and save the world at the same time.

"Look we need to talk about everything. I'm going to need everyone down in the library so that we make sure that nothing is overlooked. I want to be debriefed on this whole mess so that we can figure out how we are going to correct it. Once we have everything settled I'll figure out what I'm going to do about you and that thing." He says talking about Lily.

I've never wanted to hurt him as much as I do right now. I know that he's not very sympathetic and doesn't feel the same way we do but he could have a little more respect for her than that.

"Guys you really need to hear what Claire is saying right now!" Jeremiah says rushing into the room.

"I'm sure that whatever she has to say can wait. Just put her up in a room away from me. I have no desire to hear anything that heathen has to say." Gabriel dismissively says while waving his hand.

"No it's really important. It seems she thinks her and Lily are leaving." Jeremiah explains.

I quickly look at him. His expression says that he's thinking the same thing as me. I hear Gabriel rambling on as I hurriedly run from the room and go in search of Lily. I know how she thinks and if I'm correct she's probably already gone. She would never take Claire with her. She would have left on her own to make sure that everyone else was safe.

I quickly reach her room and swing the door open to see an empty room with the window open and the current blowing in the breeze.