the rumours

march
post-production

"You just have to ignore it. They'll always write stuff like this. Just, keep off social media if you can." He says as you watch him through your screen. Something you did all too often these days. "You know you have nothing to worry about, right?"

"Yeah, of course. I trust you." You say, your smile weak.

"You're reading something right now, aren't you?"

He must have seen your eyes follow the words on the article, Sebastian's video minimised at the bottom corner.

"No..."

"Liar. Please, Y/N. Don't read it. They don't know what they're talking about."

"I know. It's just..." You click on his face now, so he's the only thing you can see.

Sat on the stairs of his trailer in LA. You'd just missed each other, schedules not quite lining up how you'd wanted them to. You're on his bed, spending more time at his apartment than you did at your own place. You liked to watch the world go by in the window, feet on the cold metal of his fire escape helping wake you up as you sipped at your morning coffee. Even when you were alone in the evening, the place bought comfort, signs of him dotted around you. 

"It's just we met on set, so I must be doing the same thing with every other lead, right?" He stares at you now, waiting for you to answer. Watching your eyes in case they're reading again, but they're not. You meet his gaze, the blue slightly grey on the screen. "They'll tear us apart if we don't trust each other." 

"I know. And I do, I do trust you." Your thumb plays with your fingers, the touch distracting your mind from running but does nothing to stop your heart from racing. 

"They'll write the same things about you one day, and I'll be the one reading it all. It's only a couple of weeks and I'll be with you again, and they'll stop writing." 

"I miss you." You say, rolling onto his side of the bed. You didn't make it today, the duvet creased into messy clumps and the pillows aren't straight. 

"I miss you, too. My zână." 

"My pulă." 

"You're not going to change that are you?" He smiles, eyes looking beyond the screen now as he stands, shouts all around him. "I've got to go, I'll call you later? Love you." 

"Te iubesc."

"Wait, wait, wait. Did you just, have you been practising?" Sebastian pulls his trailer door shut now, walking towards the shouting and taking you with him.

"Yeah, I need to know more than just swear words, Seb." 

His smile is big now, wrinkles at his eyes and scrunching his nose. People rushing behind him. 

"Hmm, can't wait to know what else you've learnt."

"Bye, Seb." 

And you're alone again. The city loud even high in the rafters of his apartment, the sun not quite reaching you but the sirens echoing up to his bed. You want to ignore your phone, all the articles and rumours. The Instagram posts and set photos taken out of context but your hands need something to keep them busy. The sudoku app doesn't quite do it, fingers hovering over the numbers as your mind's fogged with doubt. 

You scroll through the list of open apps and close them slowly. Letting the lies fade away as you do. 

Avengers star Sebastian Stan gets close and personal with co-star

"During a movie shoot." His voice echoes in your head. They snapped a photo in a way that the filming equipment couldn't be seen. To outsiders, it looked like they were out on a date with their arms linked together and shared kisses. To the insiders, stuck in a lonely apartment, it still hurt. The words eat at your trust and the comments consuming every bit of confidence you'd managed to build. 

I ship it. Much better than that one off Clipped.

Y/N's gone? Thank fuck

tbf I wouldn't want to be with a nobody either

at least this one is more his type

Your laptop is asleep in front of you, screen black as Sebastian had distracted you from your revision. You'd been reading up on everything that could help you for your next audition, or at least trying to. 

Your palms are damp and your mouth is wet but it still feels like you're swallowing at nothing. Your leg starts to shake knowing the only thing that can make it go away, settle your anxieties and drown your worries is three hours behind you and about six hours away. 

You close the tab and make your way to your contacts list, letting out a sigh before you type. 

You
Can I call you?

You close your eyes as you wait for a reply but it doesn't take long, your heart in your throat as your phone starts to ring. He almost shouts in your ears as you answer, trying to be heard over the traffic as he walks, phone shuffling against his ear. 

"Hey, you..."

"Hey, Mateo." 

"This is becoming a bit of a habit, Y/N."