the reading

may 
pre-production

"Y/N?"

"Oh. Excuse me." You say, turning from your conversation with some of the crew. "Hi, yeah, Y/N. I'm Y/N."

"You okay, Y/N?" He's looking down at you as he talks, tall and intimidating but his face is soft. He rolls the script in his hand when he smiles.

"Sorry, yeah, I'm fine. You're Sebastian, right?"

"Yeah, I'm Sebastian right." He taps the paper against his palms. "You nervous?"

"Yeah, kinda." You say, thumb flicking at the edges of your pages as you look around still in disbelief.

"The first day's always the hardest, right?"

"I don't know. Is it?"

"What do you mean?"

His hair is fluffy and his beard wraps around his chin, fading towards his cheeks. You swear the leather jacket he's wearing is a size too small, emphasising his arms as he folds them.

"This is my first gig. First film. Movie."

"First movie?" He asks, eyebrows questioning.

"Yeah."

"Oh, well. First days are always the hardest. It gets easier from here."

"That's good to know."

"Well, we'll be seeing a lot of each other, so see you around I guess." He smiles, tapping his tube of paper on your shoulder as he heads towards the table to look for his name.

You do the same as him after introducing yourself to other members of the cast.

Your eyes scan the table for your name and you find it next to his.

Sebastian Stan
Billy 'Rex' Miller

Y/N Y/L/N
Hannah DiFranco

"Hi again, Y/N." He says, drinking from his bottle of water.

"Hi, Sebastian."

"You can just call me Seb, you know." He shifts in his chair to grab his script off the table.

"Okay, sure. Seb."

"Are you just Y/N? Or?"

"Sometimes. Yeah, just Y/N. Some people call me Y/L/N." You talk a lot faster than you usually do and your palms feel sticky. The paper is warm as you hold it now the corners curled from your nerves.

"Y/N? Okay, sure."

You smile at him before hiding your phone behind your script, reading what it said on the screen. You can see the blurs of people as they take their seats, metal legs scraping on the tiled floor and their murmurs grow louder in excitement.

"What you looking at?"

"Oh, just some site." You say, trying to hide your screen but he sees it anyway.

"How to be successful at your first table read?"

"Yeah..."

"Just be yourself, you'll be fine. You'll do great. Did you bring some water?" He asks, arm reaching behind his chair for his bag.

"No, I, I thought there'd be a jug, to be honest."

"I think there were some bottles outside."

"Oh, I missed them."

"Here." He passes you a bottle of water and you take it with a smile and a nod. "Your voice will get all dry otherwise, and that'll just be embarrassing."