Chapter Fifteen - Limousines and Paparazzi

Start from the beginning

I was surprised that he knew anything about me, but I figured Daniel must have mentioned it to him, "It's nice to meet you."

"You too!" Miguel said excitedly extending a hand for me to shake. I shook his large, rough hand in return. "I'll lead you guys in." He stated before walking next to us and into the massive stadium.

As we walked in, a few people with cameras snapped shots of us. Daniel kept pausing and flexing at them, which made our trek much longer than it needed to be. "I've heard a lot about you, Emily," Miguel remarked glancing at me with a sly smile.

"I hope it was all good," I hesitated nervously.

"Oh, all good, trust me." Miguel laughed. He lead us into a small locker room where Lucas' name was posted on the door.

Miguel entered first and Daniel followed, while I stayed outside to give them some privacy. Daniel poked his head back out the door.

"You coming, Em?" He questioned.

"You go ahead, Daniel. I'll wait out here." I smiled at him. He really was too sweet.

"You have to come in and say hi at least. I wasn't kidding when I said I think of you like family." Daniel's tone was so uncharacteristically serious that it made my heart melt a little. I had never met anyone more good-natured than he was.

I walked in to the large locker room to absolute silence. I stood as far away from everyone as possible, close to the door for easy escape. Lucas was wrapping his hands in tape and Miguel was prepping padding on the side. Daniel rode forward confidently, "Hey, Lucas!" His booming voice cut the silence in the room like a knife and I almost winced at the volume.

Lucas smiled however and stood up to hug his brother before sitting back down. "How are you feeling?" Daniel quizzed. The cuts on his face seemed to have healed slightly since the night before, but the slash on his arm was still wrapped tightly and would take several days to heal completely.

He nodded slightly, "Good," He responded.

"Let me know if you want me to get the paparazzi off your back," Daniel continued, "I'm a natural born talent. They flock to me."

Lucas smiled affectionately and Miguel guffawed, "Get in line, Danny boy." Miguel walked towards the door and smiled at me gently before stepping out, shutting the door behind him.

Lucas looked over at me and I gave him an apologetic grimace for being in the room in the first place. "Hi Emily," He spoke quietly as his blue eyes looked me over.

I gulped in return, "Hi," I squeaked.

"She wanted to wait outside," Daniel teased, "But she goes where we go, right Lucas?"

Lucas glanced at his brother fondly, "Right." He replied going back to taping his hands in silence.

Daniel glanced at the television in the corner that was muted but on the UFC channel. He noticed Miguel chatting with reporters and he grumbled to himself before beginning to wheel himself to the door, "That traitorous snake."

He opened the door and closed it behind him. I reached for the handle to follow him out when Lucas spoke while continuing to tape his hands, "You can stay."

My eyes darted over to him. I really did not want to follow Daniel into a field of reporters, but that somehow seemed less intimidating than being around Lucas on my own. My hand trembled over the door handle and my heart raced in my chest. "How's your arm?" I managed to stutter out.

His icy eyes met with mine before the tip of his lips tugged upwards, "You wrapped it well."

I glanced at the TV to see Daniel approaching the cameras and waving at Miguel who motioned for him to join him on stage. I let out a small laugh and Lucas turned to the screen, "He's a character."

He gazed back at me curiously, "He seems to be getting attached to you."

I shrugged, "It's mutual." I paused as I took in his overly calm demeanour, "Are you nervous?"

His eyes twinkled lightly as he leaned his elbows on his knees, his eyes trained on me, "Not really. Fighting centres me. Other things make me nervous."

I desperately wanted to ask what could make a person who wasn't afraid to get pummelled, nervous, but my tongue was tied.

Miguel and Daniel burst through the doors with Daniel complaining about mistreatment, "All I'm saying is that I bring heart to Lucas's story. Sure, a fighter who came from nothing and rose to top ranks is catchy, but a fighter who has a disabled brother and now you're working with gold. Use me, Miguel."

"It sounds like you're questioning my work," he raised an eyebrow at the teenager menacingly. Even I took a step back at the threatening look on his face. He could have Daniel as long he didn't give me that look.

"No, man. You do great work!" Daniel blubbered.

Miguel smiled and patted Daniel on the back, "Just messing with you, Danny."

"Like that's hard to do," Daniel rolled his eyes.

Miguel turned to face Lucas. "Ready?" He asked.

Lucas rose and removed his shirt, gracing us all with his broad chest and rippling abs. I could trace the edges of every taut muscle that littered his torso like a puzzle. His tattoos ran across his chest and down his arms. I blushed and looked away as Miguel reached for the padding, placing it on Lucas's hands before taping the wrists tightly.

Daniel rolled up to Miguel, "Let me walk in with you guys!"

"Not today, my man." Miguel advised. I wondered briefly why Daniel couldn't walk in with his brother, but kept my mouth shut even when Daniel's disappointed face looked at mine. I sent him a reassuring smile. "Kyle's meeting us at the front," Miguel informed Lucas who nodded at him.

Lucas then grabbed his brother in for a tight hug, "Love you, Danny."

"Love you, Luke." Daniel replied wrapping his arms around Lucas.

Lucas let go and grabbed his towel, wrapping it around his neck. He walked towards the door and raised an eyebrow at me as I shuffled awkwardly away from the door, "Uh-good luck." What am I doing.

He smiled gently at me brushing his fingers against my wrist as he passed me, following Miguel out of the room.