However, I wasn't interested in the trainers as I was interested in what was around their wrists. Among the masses of pathetic trainers, very few got even close to possession of Z-Crystals. 

I turned to my sassy starter. "You want a battle?" The continental tortoise nodded.

 "No. I'm going. Keep bugging me and you get an extra hour of ice training tomorrow." I declared. returning Torterra into its Pokeball and walking in the other direction. 

There, unfortunately, I almost made eye contact with a certain blue-haired nuisance talking with other halfwit imbeciles. 'dammit, she's here.' I mumbled quietly as I recalled our last encounter three months ago. I turned the other direction, put up my hoodie, and prayed to Arceus she didn't see me. 

As soon as I got out of her line of sight, I let out Torterra. "A battle doesn't seem so bad right now." Torterra smirked at me, as it was watching my problem from inside its Pokeball.

"I am not a coward." I assured as Torterra started laughing. 

"We'll battle the winner, and 'we' could mean Drapion if you don't quit it."

Torterra went dead silent and we both started watching the battle. 

"Iron Head!" Shouted the Marowak's trainer, launching the steel type move against the fairy type.

"Create a balloon." the girl called calmly, as A large, transparent bubble was quickly created. The Marowak lunged into the bubble, popping it, but not before being launched high into the air. 

"Bubble Beam." she mouthed softly as a line of bubbles were launched towards the Marowak. 

"BONEMERANG!" yelled the boy, trying to feign confidence. The Marowak threw his bone and popped all the bubbles. The girl, however, just smiled sweetly at his counterattack.

"Icy Wind into Sparkling Aria!"

I smirked, slightly impressed at the strategy and knowing how it would unfold.

The flying bone was sent barreling back into the fire type by the rushing icy winds, hitting the Marowak back with his own ground-type move. The boy's eyes widened in shock, and then, horror when Marowak hit the ground. 

Icy wind has a 100% chance to lower the target's speed, so Marowak couldn't dodge the signature water attack. The crystal on the boy's wrist started glowing, as he prepared a Z-Move.

"The zenith of my mind, body, and spirit of the great island of Akala. Become a raging fire and bur-"

Touching. Just order the damn move already

"INFERNO OVERDRIVE!"

I watched as the fire type Z-Move quickly evaporated the water attack and barreled towards the Primarina. However, the girl's resolve seemed unfazed. 

"Catch It!"

The Primarina quickly created a large bubble similar to the first one she made. This one, however, looked much more reinforced than the previous. I've battled multiple pathetic Primarina, but this one wasn't ordinary. I can tell it's been trained well, which is a title I bestow to few pokemon aside from my own. It still doesn't explain what the strategy is though.

The balloon caught the Z-Move.

"Fling it back!"

Torterra watched in amazement as the Primarina launched the Z-Move housing bubble back onto the Marowak. I was not amazed, however, I was merely slightly impressed. I am, in fact, completely unimpressed at this not at all spectacular display of power that my childish Torterra is completely enamored by. 

"I see why you wanted to battle her." I stated, looking at the now looking at the victorious girl. Some people have fire in their eyes, but hers had a fierce storm, one which quickly turned to a calm ocean when she saw the swirls in the Marowak's eyes.

It reminded me of one of my old rivals. 

"Terra Tor!"

"AND LANA WINS AGAIN!" called the 'referee' as the girl returned her Primarina.

So her name is Lana... why does that name sound familiar?

I probed my immaculate memory for a suitable resolution to my miniature quandary.

"She won the Manalo Conference in the Alola League..." I mused audibly, before shrugging. 

It's not like the Alola League matters at all, but I did promise Torterra a battle, so I pondered a socially- acceptable method to request one.

Unfortunately, Torterra was less indirect, as I blinked in horror seeing the Continental Tortoise behind this mysterious girl.

"AHH- oh, a Torterra," she said. "Do you have a trainer?" she asked calmly, scratching Torterra's leaves causing him to coo.

Such a baby.

"y-yeah he's mine," I approached from behind the tremendous terrestrial turtle. "sorry for any trouble he might've caused."

"I think he wants to battle your Primarina." I clarified, causing her to go red from embarrassment. 

"We were about to go to the pokemon center" she explained, playing with her fingers. "Primarina is tired from training"

"Oh, I understand." I responded, followed by a disappointed "Terra" from my partner. Suddenly, the girl did a double-take.

"Are you... Paul?"

My eyes widened in surprise, as I nodded my head, speechless.

"I watched the Sinnoh League last year," she elaborated, "your battle with Tobias was so inspiring!"

"Th-thanks" I stammered, unsure of what to make of it.

If both she and I have won our respective League Tournaments, then others in this tournament will also likely be at our level.

It was just setting in to me that this isn't a Regional Conference anymore.

The winner of this tournament will be the strongest Trainer on the Planet.

"Uhh I guess I'm Lana... trial captain in Alola." she said shyly.

 "I'm Paul from Veilstone. I guess we can battle tomorrow then."

The girl giggled, "We'll battle in the World Tournament. See you around I guess." she said, strolling towards the Tournament Pokemon Center.

"Torterra Terra Tor"

"Yes Torterra, I saw she was holding back. And if that's the ace of the Alola region, I'm intrigued to see what other trainers have to offer..."

It was then when I noticed the wide grin I had on my face.

This is not normal.

I'm guessing Torterra noticed this too. "Terra Tor Tor Terra!"

"I'm not acting weird." I lied, as I rested my hand on my chest. My breathing felt heavy and my heart was racing. 

Snap out of it, Paul. This shit is the reason why you're still weak. 

I scowled at Torterra. "We haven't trained in a day. We're too pathetic for a battle now anyways."

"Terra to-"

"And we have a battlefield to ourselves." I finished, tossing a pokeball into the air. "Froslass, use Avalanche. Torterra. Stand your ground.