Her father sighed. "Okay, stay safe. I love you."

"Y-yeah, I will," she stuttered, not expecting him to give in so easily. "I love you too. Take care of Emmy and Ollie for me."

He promised he would and then she hung up.

Percy smiled at his girlfriend as she rested her head on his shoulder after giving Annabeth back her phone. "He doing okay?"

"Yeah, he's just worried." She adjusted her head so she could look at him.

"That's what parents do."

Noelle hummed her agreement before puckering her lips, signaling to Percy that she wanted a kiss. Percy chuckled lightly before planting his lips on hers for a short, sweet kiss.

Annabeth pretended to gag. "Gross. Not with me in the car."

Noelle gasped as if her friend's words had registered something in her mind.

"What?" Percy's brows furrowed in concern. "What's wrong?"

"My car," Noelle whined. "It's still at the school."

"Baby." Percy faked sympathy, a smile threatening to poke through his sarcastic pout. "Your dad'll get it for you."

Annabeth glared at the couple. "You guys are sickening."

"Oh, shut up. You're just jealous of me," Percy teased. "I get the cutest girl in the world."

Annabeth seemed to be caught off guard as her cheeks flared red in embarrassment. "T-that's not true."

"Oh, yeah?" Percy continued to poke fun.

"Stop it, Percy," Noelle said sternly.

Noelle knew that Annabeth was, or at least had been, jealous of her and Percy's relationship. Annabeth had told her exactly that last winter. Annabeth had said that everything was fine after their talk, but Noelle didn't believe her and avoided talking about it as to not upset her. Every now and then, Percy would bring it up when Annabeth said their relationship was "disgustingly cute." And every time, Noelle would shut it down instantly and would stop acting coupley with Percy for the rest of the time they were around Annabeth so she wouldn't get jealous.

So, after Noelle shut down Percy's teasing comments, the rest of the ride to camp was completely silent. Noelle no longer leaned against Percy's shoulder, afraid that even the smallest of gestures would upset Annabeth.

The city melted away until they were off the expressway and rolling through the countryside of northern Long Island, pastor chards and wineries and fresh produce stands. 

The taxi exited on Route 25A. They headed through the woods along the North Shore until a low ridge of hills appeared on their left. Annabeth told the driver to pull over on Farm Road 3.141, at the base of Half-Blood Hill.

The driver frowned. "There ain't nothing here, miss. You sure you want out?" 

"Yes, please." Annabeth handed him a roll of mortal cash, and the driver decided not to argue. 

The trio hiked to the crest of the hill. The young guardian dragon, Peleus, was dozing, coiled around the pine tree, but he lifted his coppery head as they approached and let Noelle scratch under his chin. Steam hissed out his nostrils like from a teakettle, and he went cross-eyed with pleasure.

It was well-known around camp that the dragon's favorite camper was the daughter of Artemis. Whether that was because she was the best with animals or because she snuck him snacks from time to time, no one knew exactly. They just knew they'd be on Peleus's bad side if they crossed Noelle.