The Fox

"And I cried all night"

*          *          *

   Running a brush through Bella's hair, Spencer hummed to himself as Bella closed her eyes and tilted her head back. He brushed out the knots while blow drying it as well. He smoothed out her hair, tying it back in a comfortable ponytail. 

   "Thank you," Bella whispered. 

   "You don't have to thank me, love," Spencer said quietly, taking a cleansing wipe to Bella's face. 

   He backed away from the chair, holding out his hand as Bella took it. He helped her up from the chair, smoothing out her shirt as she took a deep breath. 

   "I'm going to make breakfast, ok?" Spencer said, his voice sweet. 

   "I'm not hungry, it's ok," Bella replied.

   "Bells, you need to eat."

   "Spence, it's ok."

   Spencer shook his head, "No, I'll make you some tea and toast. I need to make sure you eat something before I go to work, ok?" 

   Bella frowned, "Ok."

   "I can try and come home for lunch."

   "No, I'm ok."

   "Actually, maybe I should just stay home. Would you rather I stay home?"

   Bella paused, "I'm fine, Spencer."

   Spencer gulped, "I just--I worry. I don't like you here alone."

   "Aurora comes over everyday," Bella responded. "I feel bad that you've been having to...take care of me."

   "Sweetheart, do not feel that way. I'm always going to be here for you, no matter what." 

   He took her by the hand, planting a kiss on it.

   Bella grinned bashfully. 

*          *          *

   Spencer sat in the conference room with the rest of the team, his body feeling numb. The team had discovered an entire wall covered in photos of them, revealing that someone had been following them and taking photos of them.

   He had looked over to see an entire section of the wall dedicated to Bella, photos of her at the baseball game and going to the restaurant with Spencer. There were countless photos of her, circled in red marker with the word ZUGZWANG written on the side. 

   Spencer sat shaking at the round table, his hands fumbling as he tried to pick up his cup of coffee but failed. He could feel tears pushing at the back of his eyes, Hotch's voice sounding like a background noise compared to the endless thoughts running throughout his head.