Chapter Forty-Eight

Start from the beginning

It's as if he brought me here so that he can ignore me in peace, without the interference of friends or family.

What the fuck was all that talk about experiences? Important experiences? Honeymoon experiences?!

I shuffle through the clothes in my suitcase; dresses, shorts, t-shirts, nightclothes, and apparently lingerie that doesn't seem to have the opportunity to see the light of day?

I stare at the lingerie for two seconds and quickly close the suitcase when I hear the sounds of Arjun shuffling, fearing that he's coming to check on me.

Then, I hear him talk. Definitely not to me, since he doesn't take my name. I peek from behind the partition wall and spot Arjun in the pool area, his back facing me, with a phone to his ear.

Rolling my eyes, I retreat to my suitcase. I can't fathom the thought of him seeing the lingerie without me in it, and to think I had an inkling of a notion that I could tease him.

Maybe he's just not in the mood...

Or maybe he's just not interested in me...

The first thought certainly seems more convincing to me at the moment. Sighing to myself, I shake off the thoughts. Since when have I become so inclined to carnal desires?

We'll watch a movie or talk or just cuddle and sleep.

With those thoughts in mind, I change into my nightclothes and walk over to the bed while Arjun is still talking to someone on the phone.

I flick through channels on the TV, yawning as I slide down to rest my head on the pillow. Seeing that there's nothing interesting on the flat-screen, I pick up my phone and scroll through Instagram.

Which is— thankfully— not that boring, especially since the year's coming to an end now.

Siddharth is at a party. Again. Dhruv's inactive, and Dhriti has a textbook and a cup of coffee on her story. Sam seems to be working on another painting, she needs a lot of paintings for the exhibition that is coming up.

I'm lost in thought, aimlessly going through people's stories and posts, when Arjun comes back into the room, sliding the french door to the pool shut and pulling the curtains close over it.

I say nothing as he walks to his side of the bed, his fingers hovering indecisively on his keyboard. He glances up at me for a mere moment, and politely smiles at me, before looking away.

What is wrong...?

I bite my lower lip, contemplating his behaviour, trying to read his body language. Is he mad at me? Is he annoyed? Is he worried about something else?

What the fuck is wrong?

A growing irritation bubbles within me. I clench my jaw, stopping myself from throwing words that would cause unnecessary disturbances.

I look at Arjun, who's expressionlessly staring at his phone, even as he sits next to me, his long legs stretched out in front of him, crossed at his ankles, while he rests his back against the headboard of the bed.

I stare at him, trying to estimate how long he would be able to ignore me, but he must be used to receiving stares like these, he doesn't even peek at me.

"Arjun?" I address him, finally. He will respond if everything's alright. Right?

Arjun looks at me, his face expressionless. "Hm?"

"Is something wrong?" I put forward hesitantly.

Arjun nods. "Everything's fine. Why do you ask?"