23.5

Middle of chapter 23: I like her – A day after Heeseung's confession, dismissal time

Although it had already been a day since Heeseung's confession, Jangmi was still bothered; and honestly, she felt tired and drained. As much as she tried her best to act brightly, as if nothing was happening, she couldn't—and it was going noticed by some people. It was the first day her and Sunoo didn't sit with the rest of the boys, and Sunghoon immediately sensed that something was wrong. And, to add on that, when he greeted the younger girl this morning, she looked sad; but he quickly dismissed the idea and assumed that maybe she was just tired.

After class, they did their usual routine by walking together to their respective training areas. Sunghoon glanced at Jangmi and was confused by the space between them. She was quiet too, something that was deemed unusual. She would usually ramble on about her day and upcoming training whenever they were together as she clung onto his arm; so he was very confused with how strange her behavior was becoming.

"Jangmi," he called her name softly. The girl seemed to be so lost in thought that it took him a few calls to get her attention. He tilted his head to the side in a questioning manner. once the younger girl looked his way. "Are you okay?" The question made Jangmi nod quickly automatically.

"You know, you can talk to me if something's bothering you, right?" His eyes watched the girl run her hands through her hair as she nodded again before staring at the concrete pavement.

"Jangmi?"

"I'm really okay, oppa," she said, forcing a smile on her lips. "Just tired, that's all."

Sunghoon nodded at her response. He tried to pull the girl closer to him and make her cling to him, like how she usually did, but she suddenly flinched at his touch. "I'm sorry," she said shyly as she quickly made eye contact. "It's okay," he replied, managing to give her a reassuring smile.

After that, he chose not to say or do anything—and it made the tension grow thicker. He kept glancing in her direction and sighed. Her natural glow was gone; and on top of that, he felt like she was hiding something from him, and it broke his heart to think that she was suffering. She looked so weak and so scared that he just wanted to hug her so that he could absorb it out of her; and he was willing to take all of it.

He never wanted to comfort her so bad; but how could he when he doesn't even know what happened.