18

Nervous

Jangmi felt uncomfortable entering the school gates with her brother

Jangmi felt uncomfortable entering the school gates with her brother. It wasn't just because she was absent for the entirety of last week, but also because of what happened when she was stuck at home. When Sunghoon left the house, she felt a little disappointed that he had to leave so soon—after four hours of staying with each other.

All of a sudden, she wanted to see him again. Jangmi opened her eyes so quickly, anticipating the older boy, but instead saw her older brother. She groaned in disappointment. 

As much as she tried to forget it, she really wanted to see Sunghoon again. But now that she had the opportunity to see him again, she was nervous. It was like she couldn't decide whether she wanted to see him or not. If she didn't see him, she would be sad; but if she saw him, she would be a nervous mess and run away. 

She didn't know what to do.

"Jangmi? Are you okay?" Her older brother nudged her slightly as he unlocked the door of the car. She snapped out of her thoughts and looked at him. "Yeah! Why wouldn't I be?"

Jay watched his sister's actions and concluded that she was jittery based on the way she spoke and moved too quickly. He raised an eyebrow in confusion. "Are you scared because you missed school for a whole week?"

His younger sister nodded her head a little too automatically. "A little," she said timidly, knowing that her answer was partly true and partly false. She slung her duffel bag on her shoulder and closed the car door behind her before following Jay. Jangmi was set on not telling her older brother about her thoughts on his own best friend. 

"The teachers already know about your absence because mom called them last week. They said to show your medical certificate in case they ask you for further proof."

Jangmi nodded in response. She found herself clinging onto her older brother's arm. Although he found it cute, he couldn't help but be concerned. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"I just think that I missed a lot, oppa. I know I'll be able to catch up, but it's just a lot to think about," she told him. He shook her grip off of his arm and transferred his arm around her shoulders. "Don't think about it that way. We don't want you getting stressed right after being sick or you might relapse, okay? So just take your time, and you'll be able to catch up." he told her in a lighthearted manner, earning a nod from the younger girl. 

The Park siblings continued to walk into the school building and stopped in front of the stairs—or the railing of the stairs. Jay pulled Jangmi in for a tight hug before kissing her forehead while his little sister snuggled into his chest and wrapped her arms around his torso. She smiled as she saw her older brother looking at her lovingly. "Stay safe, okay? Don't forget to drink a lot of water," he reminded her. Jangmi nodded. "Yes, sir!" She saluted to him, making the older boy chuckle. He ruffled her hair before starting the climb up to his floor.