Chapter Thirty

"I'm so glad Courtney is awake and alert. I also can't wait to see her!"

"You can't wait? Excuse me, but I've been sitting here for the past week or two, literally dying to see my girlfriend." Adam argued.

"Guys, does it really matter who can't wait? The point is, Courtney is awake and we can now all finally visit her." I reminded them.

Kayla and Adam glanced at each other for a moment before shaking their heads. "No." they both said at the same time.

I rolled my eyes. It's been two weeks since the attack and Courtney has been in an induced coma since then. Apparently her condition got worse and the gunshot wound she had became infected. And whoever hurt her, gave her more than a concussion. I know Aiden's mother told me what it was, but I couldn't put my finger on the name of it. Either way, it was bad. But yet, she somehow pulled through and as of two days ago, Courtney was now wide awake and speaking.

However, Lauren had told us that Courtney suffered from retrograde amnesia, meaning she couldn't remember her attack, who attacked her or recent events that happened this year. She did however, remember us and thankfully me as well. Not a lot sadly, but she remembered me and that was all that mattered. Lauren said that by helping her or telling her about memories that happened over this past year, those memories or bits and pieces of them will come back slowly and hopefully she'll be back to normal in a few weeks.

Or...months. Which I'm hoping is not the case.

Today, Adam, Kayla and I were allowed to finally visit Courtney and we were more than excited. While she was in her coma, only her parents and younger sister Fallon have been allowed to see her. And my dad, who's been spending quite a bit of time with Courtney's mother, Melanie. Which is strange, but Justin and I have been leaving it be and we agreed that if there is something going on between them, Dad should feel comfortable telling us whenever he's ready. And I think he deserves the company.

Aiden was going to come, but he and his dad planned a camping trip together a month before we met to spend some father and son time in their family camper so Aiden was gone for roughly two days. However, we still texted each other or called each other, which I was happy about. They'll be back Sunday afternoon.

When we made it to the hospital, both Adam and Kayla bolted to the main doors as fast as they could, being sure to avoid patients and visitors coming in and out. I rolled my eyes, grabbed my purse and slammed my door shut, following them from far behind.

By the time I got to the elevators, they were already there, waiting for me. "Hurry up already Riley!" Kayla scolded.

"Hey, I'm taking my time. Also, you know running in heels is never gonna happen." I stated when I stepped inside the elevator. I've worn them since September now, with the occasion of wearing flats every once in awhile, but I've gotten used to heels that they're practically comfortable. However, I haven't mastered running in them, and it'll never happen.

When the elevator stopped on the fourth floor, both of them sped off again and I crossed my arms, rolling my eyes. I followed them, but I walked instead of ran. Yeah, running? Not today.

I immediately heard chattering and laughing when I arrived and when I entered Courtney's room, the room fell silent. I looked around awkwardly.

"Hey Vega," Courtney waved. "Nice outfit." she complimented, admiring my skinny jeans, black top and snakeskin heels my Grandpa and Grandma bought me for my birthday.

"Hey Stewart." I said, using her last name like she did with mine. I stood off to the side and leaned against the wall, watching my friends in awe. "Also, thanks for the compliment."