[56] It Gets Better

Start from the beginning

Who wrote his destiny? Who! Why my mate isn't looking for me? Why did it turn out so easy for him who didn't even look forward to meeting his mate all these years?

My empty days and nights, full of discouragement, makes me want to howl in hurt.

I have waited for so long.

I want to be upset and release all my anger. But will it calm my burning heart?

Nothing will. Only her presence will bring me peace.

I have gotten familiar to the forests around the border that touches her pack. Those trees have become my friends. They help me hide, they hear my bated breaths. The hear my heartbeats whenever I hear an approaching sound. They hear my disappointed sighs when it turns out to be someone else. The owls that sit on the branches there recognise me.

The long distance doesn't seem long anymore. Even if I don't use my mind, my feet take me to that border on their own.

On full moon, on new moon-I have looked for her in flesh, and in fur.

The scent never reached me again.

These three weeks, all Anton has been excited about was mating.

Alvena already seems scared of him. She respects the bond, the choice that Moon Goddess made for her. But she is sad like every other foreign bride. She is an Alpha's daughter. Her aura screams it with the way she doesn't let out a single tear. She smiles and respect the rituals.

But even the young pups must be noticing that Anton isn't someone she must have had dreamt of.

I wonder how an outsider think of us at the first sight? Alvena's eyebrows twitches everytime any of the aged male burps or chugs on the wine. She noticed the way males are snatching meat from the plates.

It is the same disgust I saw in Nysa's eyes during her bond with Robin.

Alvena notices as Anton chews a mouthful of meat too with his bare hand. He licks the gravy off his lips and hit the glass of wine with of Robin's hard enough to spill both their wines a little.

The bride smiles when her eyes meet Nysa's. They both exchange a tight smile that speaks thousand words about how their lives here will be different than the one they lived before crossing the border.

I wish it didn't have to be this way.

I would burn in shame if my mate notices me like that. I won't eat in front of her in the beginning. First, I will notice how she eats and lives.

Do I even look like an ideal Lycan? I doubt it.

There are accounts written about how radiant Ronyn looked when he would go for a round around the territory. His aura was what every Beta used to describe as of an ideal Lycan.

King holds authority now. He shines and doesn't exploit his powers. The pack respects him and loves him even more. When I look at him, I wonder how pleased the ancestors must be.

My gaze moves back on Anton and I blink in slight hurt again.

He is smiling eye to eye. He is smirking time to time, winking at us, telling us that this is the way.

To be calm and not wait for the mate.

How can I not when she is the only one who will be mine and mine only?

My jaws clench for a moment as I realise again that four years have passed. My blood boils and I rub my hand against my forearm. I breathe out a sigh and calm myself.