Chapter 5 - Bears, Cougars, and Wolves

Start from the beginning

"No one has told you about the woods yet?" Logan suddenly spoke, walking into the kitchen on his own. We all were a little taken back at the intrusion.

"Logan! What are you doing back here?" mom asked. She was all flustered. After he left earlier, she wouldn't shut up about him. Telling me he was a catch and that I should be "pouncing on" as soon as possible. I only laughed at her, because I knew it would never happen. I don't want to ruin friendships here by dating someone simply because I've been told I should.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. Your front door was open, so I let myself in... hope that's okay. My mom hated the thought of you eating our old pizza so she had me bring over these strawberries. They're from our garden." Logan smiled, placing a cute teal-blue container of baby strawberries on our counter.

"It's quite alright! You're welcome any time." Mom stopped walking to send me a very noticeable wink. I sent her a deadly look. "That's so sweet! Are you the gardener?" she asked, picking up the strawberry container and examining the contents. Logan crossed his hands in front of him, holding them together.

"No," Logan laughed. "I don't have the patience. It's my mom and sister," he answered. Mom nodded. I furrowed my eyebrows with a smile.

"The one that's away?" mom questioned. Logan nodded. "What's her name? I don't think anyone has mentioned it." Mom opened the fridge and placed the strawberries on the first shelf she saw. The only other thing in it was a pitcher of iced tea, courtesy of Jo Auden.

"Oh, her name is Avery. She's away on... business," Logan explained further, hesitating a little. Mom nodded. I was intrigued. Avery is younger than Logan, I wonder why Logan isn't working.

"Do you work?" I asked randomly. I don't think I meant to have that come out, but it did, and there was no taking it back, so I stood firm with my question. Logan turned to me a little confused.

"Yeah, sort of. I mean, I have honest work here. Tending fields, fixing up homes, stuff like that. Our neighbors pay pretty since they've known me so long," he shrugged. I nodded, happy to hear of the generosity of the locals.

"Arthur, didn't you say there was something in our room you wanted to look at? Something about a sink?" mom asked suddenly. My dad looked at her with one eyebrow scowling and the other raised to the roof. She sent him a look and suddenly he was nodding, acting like he remembered what she was talking about.

"Oh! That's right! We better go check on that sink," dad said in return. Mom nodded and looked at me for barely a second before the both of them hurried off. I slumped against the counter, knowing exactly what they were trying to do. I scoffed humorously.

"They think we're going to suddenly hit it off and start dating," I said once my parents were out of the room. Logan snorted and flickered his eyes around my face for a minute.

"Do they?" he mused. I rolled my eyes playfully, landing them with a small smile.

"Yup... You're a little old for me, though, no offense." I tried to speak the last part a little softer, but there wasn't any sign of hurt on his features, so I relaxed.

"None taken. I'd have to let you down, anyway. I already found the love of my life, I told you about her earlier." He crossed his arms over his chest. His shoulder was leaning up against the side of the fridge. One of his legs was crossed over the other, like that typical cowboy pose you see on western movie posters.

"Yeah, I remember. Sarah, right?" He nodded. I didn't miss the smile that tugged at the corners of his mouth. I thought she might've been fictional before, but judging by the way he was acting at just the mention of her name, maybe I was wrong. "So, did you go to college?" I asked, seeing a dead end with our previous topic. Logan raised his eyebrows.