𝘬𝘰𝘰𝘬𝘭𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘪𝘢 » 𝘱.𝘩

word count: 0.9k

request: shielding the other one with their body with any of the obx boys

warning(s): mentions of fire, topper slander at the end lol

✰ ⋆ ✰ ⋆ ✰ ⋆ ✰

The OBX annual summer movie night. And in the middle of Kooklandia at that, as Pope would describe it. With Kiara's invitation, you, Pope and JJ all trudged to the large sheet-like screen and set up your folding chairs a fair distance away.

"Damnit." You groaned, swatting at a mosquito on your neck. "Remind me why we agreed to come to this?"

"It happens once a year, guys. I've been to every single one since I could crawl." Kiara reminded you all.

"My couch was pretty comfy, to be honest." JJ sighed, leaning back in his chair and opening his can of Pepsi.

"Annually is too often. I hate coming to these things, Kie." You disclosed. The curly haired girl debated with you, telling you it wasn't that bad and how maybe one day you'll take your kids to things like these. Until the two of you focused your attention on a nervous Pope and a rigid JJ, muttering back and forth to each other.

"So, you brought the peacemaker, right?" JJ held up the bag, silently confirming Pope's suspicions.

"Please tell me you did not bring a gun here! JJ, there are kids, what are you thinking?" Kiara reprimanded.

"What's going on?" You interrogated.

"Don't worry about it. Safety precautions." JJ answered for both him and Pope. Both you and Kie shook your heads in disapproval, turning towards the movie that was now starting.

About halfway through, you shifted uncomfortably in your seat in an attempt to stretch your muscles. Looking to your right, Pope and JJ were getting out of their chairs themselves, bending down to avoid blocking the view for others. "Where are y'all going?" You asked, eyes moving between the both of them for an answer.

"We gotta wring it out." JJ shrugged simply.

"Are you gonna hold it for each other?" You shot back sarcastically.

"We'll be right back." Pope assured you.

Several minutes passed by, and the two boys still had yet to return. You nudged Kie with your elbow. "Do you think they're okay?"

"Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if they just left, you know?"

"But JJ's bag is still here." You pointed out, gesturing to the grass beside you.

"Don't worry." She whispered. "I'm sure they're fine."

You pondered her words for a moment. Gut feelings didn't come to you often, so when they did, it was smart to listen to them. "Screw this." You muttered to yourself, taking JJ's bag and heading for the trail they took. Kiara reluctantly followed, the both of you turning the corner to find the boy you were looking for. Or both of them, but your concern lied with Pope as you watched him get beaten by Topper.

Without a second thought, you bolted, jumping on Topper's back and beginning your assault on the kook. Kiara ran to JJ's aid, attempting to distract Kelce and Rafe too.

"Topper, stop it! Let him go!" You all but screamed. His equilibrium shifted enough to stumble away, sending you flying off of his back and onto the ground. Pain shot up your tailbone and spread through the rest of your body momentarily, eyes scattering to find Pope.

"Y/n!" He shouted, Topper resuming his fight. The fabric of JJ's bag brushed your leg. You didn't know what made you start rummaging through it, only to find his gun, a few miscellaneous items, and his lighter. Your friends were all struggling with the kooks, narrowing your options.

Opening the cap, you sparked the flame and held it to the curtain displaying the old film, standing up and backing away to avoid the quickly spreading fire. Rafe was the first to notice, letting go of his grip on JJ as he rallied up his boys. "Guys, fire."

From his words, Topper and Kelce retreated from either Pope or JJ as well. JJ coughed repeatedly, Pope gasping as they both tried to catch their breath. "Pope." You breathed out as he wrapped his arms around you protectively, shielding you and guiding you away from the scene. "Are you okay?"

"I will be. Are you?" You nodded, peering over your shoulder to keep an eye on the hot flames. "You're an idiot. You know that's arson, right?"

"And? I saved your ass. Topper almost killed you." You argued, both of you limping your way towards his truck.

"You could get into serious trouble for that, Y/n. Think before you set something on fire next time." He opened the passenger door to his truck, helping you in before making his way to the driver's side.

"Nobody even saw me." You played it off, more so reassuring yourself. "At least I don't think so."

"Except Rafe, Topper and Kelce. We're still on Figure 8. They could take you to the cops."

You scoffed. "I thought you'd be a little more grateful that you're still breathing."

"Trust me." Pope started, turning the key in the ignition. "I am. But you could've gotten hurt, Y/n."

"Ok. Maybe I should've thought about it a little more." You admitted. "But I didn't have time. You could be unconscious right now if I had waited a few seconds too long."

"I get it. Can you just promise me you won't set anything else on fire? Like ever again?"

"I suppose I can." You compromised, interlocking your pinky with his free one. "Maybe let's not come back to Figure 8 for a while so I don't have to. I might set Topper on fire for what he did to you."

Pope chuckled at your last comment, though it wasn't very funny because you weren't entirely kidding. "Remind me to hide all of my lighters and matches from you, Y/n."

You smirked, your fingers still loosely intertwined with his. He wasn't gonna get you that easily. "That's okay. I can just grab some sticks from the forest instead."