Part 2

She loved him. He had given her everything she could have ever wished for. She was a mother to two children because of him. They lived in a beautiful house, there were expensive cars in their garage. She had designer clothes in her closet. She had diamond jewelry in a box she kept on her vanity. However, more often than not, she felt like she no longer had him. He used to take breaks, his family used to be a priority. Now it was a new album and a tour, new album and a tour...

"Is something burning?"

Stevie had zoned out, got lost in her thoughts. Realizing she'd burned the pancakes, she sighed and cursed quietly, then dumped the contents of the pan into the trashcan.

"Do you need some help?" Ella asked, approaching her mother somewhat carefully.

"Ah, no." Stevie shook her head, forcing a smile. "I was just thinking about something and..." She exhaled heavily, took another pan and resumed making breakfast. "Would you like some orange juice?"

"I'll get it, no worries. I wouldn't want you to burn another batch." Ella moved over to the fridge, then took out two glasses. "I heard Adam in his room, he should be coming down soon."

With her back turned to her daughter, Stevie shut her eyes firmly, feeling a sudden wave of emotions. There was no reason to cry, get it together, she told herself. "Did you sleep well?"

"Not really. It was insanely hot last night, kept tossing and turning the whole night." Ella replied and returned to the kitchen table. "Adam snuck back into the house in the early hours of the morning. Again."

"Well, he's 17. He doesn't even really have to sneak around." Stevie shrugged, pouring some of the batter into the pan.

"And I'm 15, but you still tell me to be home by midnight." 

"Which you never are." Stevie looked over her shoulder, giving Ella a pointed look. "Did you hear anything else during the night?"

"Like what?" Ella raised an eyebrow.

"Uh, nothing. Some dogs barking." Stevie shrugged, trying to make it seem she didn't have anything particular in mind.

"Good morning." Adam entered the kitchen. He ruffled Ella's hair, messing it up, on his way to give Stevie a kiss on the cheek. "Oh, this smells so good!"

"Grab a plate." Stevie smiled and began dividing breakfast to her two children, who weren't really kids anymore. "You can put that one back."

Adam frowned, glanced at his younger sister, then faced his mother again. "Isn't dad joining us?"

"Your father has already left." Stevie answered and her facial expression instantly changed, the soft look on her face now gone.

"Wasn't he suppose to leave tonight?" 

"Yes, he was." She nodded and sat down next to Ella. 

Again, Adam gave Ella a look, she shrugged her shoulders, shaking her head slightly. "What happened?"

"Some scheduling issues, that's what he said." Stevie added, but judging by the tone of her voice, she did not want to talk about it. "Let's eat."

The three ate in silence until it became increasingly more uncomfortable and Adam had to speak up. "So, he doesn't even say goodbye anymore?"

"Apparently." Ella chipped in. "It's not like he'll be gone for the weekend. Why does dad insist on being away from home all the time anyway?" When no one said anything, she continued. "Maybe he's hiding something."

"Come on, El', don't be ridiculous." Adam narrowed his eyes at Ella, having noticed how the conversation was affecting their mother.

"Well, you never know. What if dad has a secret family?"

"Ella!"

"That's enough!" Stevie shut the pair up and pushed her unfinished plate away.

"I'm just kidding, gah." Ella rolled her eyes, practically inhaled her last pancake and marched out of the kitchen.

"She doesn't know, what she's saying, mom." Adam walked around the table and sat next to Stevie. "She's just a stupid kid."

"Don't call your sister that." Stevie said, her voice barely audible. 

"Mom, come on. You know, dad loves you. He's just... yeah, he could spend more time at home, but I guess, there's a part of him that needs to go out there. Do what he does." Adam shrugged, unsure what else to say.

"I know, it's fine." Stevie waved it off, a pained smile on her face. "I'm fine."