Obito laughed at that. He bent over in his chair, holding his stomach. He laughed so long and hard that he was hurting by the time he stopped. When he looked up she was back at cooking.

She looked at peace, and happy. At that moment he thought of the word he'd been looking for: motherly. She looked like Rin's mom when he went to her house when they were young, and something was wrong with her daughter.

He never had that. He was the disappointment. Even his own mother and father had been disappointed in him. He never had the connection with his mother and father that others had with theirs. It wasn't that he didn't love them, but they felt more like his adoptive parents. He had been sure when he was young he had been adopted, especially when he couldn't get Sharingan.

"Hey, Obi, what's wrong?" He looked up to see Kikyo had finished with the eggs and bacon. She had put them in the oven to help keep them warm. Her eyes were now looking into his lone one. Only now did he notice he was crying.

"It's nothing." He said in reflex, then sunk in on himself slightly. He expected her to tell him just to tell her what was wrong and not the lie to her. Instead she sighed and sat down next to him. She reached out and held his hand that hadn't been burned.

"Please, I can't help if you don't tell me what's wrong." He looked into her blue eyes, and once again he crumbled. He just couldn't say no to Kikyo.

"It's just, what you said made me think of my childhood and my parents." He saw a quick flash of pain in her eyes, then replaced by understanding.

"You must miss them." Obito looked at her, then decided honesty was the best. He shrugged.

"Not really, I was a disappointment to them and the clan. I don't think they were all that fond of me. They were probably the proudest when I 'died'."

She looked at him shocked. Then, anger flared in her eyes. It was so sudden that Obito jerked back. She looked like someone just killed her puppy in front of her, and she was out for blood.

"How dare they," she said quietly, the louder," how dare they!" She whirled around and started taking out ingredients. "Take out the bacon and eggs from the oven, and turn it on to 350 fahrenheit." Obito nodded, and rushed to do what she said.

After he was done, he went back to the stool. He watched as Kikyo whent about making what seemed like cake. He got the courage to ask, "what are you doing Kikyo?"

She looked at him, pausing in her movements. A softness in her eyes, and regret? He didn't know what was wrong, but he didn't like it. He never liked seeing Kikyo upset. "Change of plans, cake for breakfast." His eye grew wide.

"Why?"

"Because,"she started up her work again while talking,"cake is the best thing when you're depressed. And you're going to get my share of cake too."

"No, I can't take your cake!" He waved his hands in the air.

"I'll eat the eggs and bacon. Goodness knows no one will want that if there's cake."

"But the bacon is burned." He said duly, looking for anything to convince her to eat some cake.

"So?"she challenged, her blue eyes holding a fine. "You made them, and so they're going to taste great!" He was suddenly reminded of Rin telling him of the time she made her parents breakfast. She had burned everything, but her parents had eaten it anyway.

He smiled,"are you this motherly with all your friends?"

Her eyes went wide, then as she put the batter into the pan she shook her head. She put the bowl and whisk she had been using in front of him. "Lick it clean." She said curtly. She grabbed the pan and put it into the oven.