Chapter 8: Medical Attention

Start from the beginning

The girl watched in horror as Orty got up and walked back into the elevator, sitting obediently at my feet.

"It's you!" she turned sideways and slid into the elevator just as the doors were about to close.

The girl reached out to touch her and I shot her a glare so cold that she flinched. I scrutinized her face, wondering why she looked so familiar, and then raised my brows when I realized that she was the spitting image of the girl Amara had in her car last night. 

Ah...the sister.

"It's happening," she mumbled to herself, "Right now."

The elevator door opened and the girl walked out without a word. I blinked, a little taken aback by her calmness. The girl reached Amara's door and fumbled with the keys to open it.

"Who are you?" she asked, her tone was quizzical, as if she was making sure of something .

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, "Zachary. I'm a friend."

The girl furrowed her brows and stopped moving, echoing the name in confusion before looking up at me. 

"But that's not your real name?" 

My eyes flew open and I looked down at her, narrowing my eyes.

"Move."

To my surprise she did, still sporting that confused look on her face. 

I kicked the door open, and stalked inside, heading straight for Amara's bedroom. I reached her doorway and stopped in my tracks when I saw another familiar redhead lying on his back. 

The boy was so fascinated with a medium sized green snake that was coiled around his arm that he didn't even notice me standing there.

"Asclepius?" I asked, surprised to see my nephew lounging around in Amara's blue floral sheets.

"What the--"The boy's head whipped around and he sat up so fast that I was sure he got whiplash. His bright hazel eyes finally rested on me, standing in the doorway and he inched his long frame off of the bed.

"Wait a minute old man, we don't use full names around here," he said, using his hand to cover the snake's head and whispering, " There are humans around, don't you know this?"

I rolled my eyes and brushed past him, carefully laying Amara face-first onto the bed and reaching into the waistband of my pants for a knife.

"How did you know where to find me?" I asked, getting ready to cut off the jacket that I used to patch up Amara's wound.

"That's a stupid question," Asclepius replied flippantly, "I know everything."