t w e n t y - f o u r

Two months later Tony announced that we were having another party. I was excited by the idea, seeing as I didn't need to wear gloves anymore.

Bucky had to leave for a mission upstate. He was staying at the Avengers' Compound (somewhere I hadn't been yet) and came back after four days. The mission went well, and Tony was glad because that meant he didn't have to cancel his party.

Natasha, Wanda, and I all went dress shopping again. I found a gorgeous navy blue dress that stopped just above my knees. Wanda found a nice black dress and Natasha found a green one.

Before the party, Natasha, Wanda, and I all got ready in my room. Things were floating in the air, like curling irons and makeup brushes. Clint came in to do my makeup. He was an exceptional makeup artist.

Once he left, we all got dressed. We all looked stunning.

"Rogers is going fall at your feet," I said to Natasha.

She smirked at me and nodded to my outfit.

"I can say the same about Barnes and you," she said, winking.

I smiled brightly and Wanda walked into the room. She was tugging at the fabric of her dress.

"Do you think I put on weight?" she asked as she walked towards us.

"No," I said. "From the way you've been working out and training, you would have lost weight. You look gorgeous. I reckon Vison's gonna short-circuit."

Wanda smiled at me.

"We ready to go up?" Nat asked.

Wanda and I both nodded. We all got into the elevator and made our way up to the party deck. When we arrived, we made our way to the bar and got a drink. I looked around for Bucky and found him talking to Steve. I walked over to them.

"Hey, Doll," Bucky said, kissing my temple.

He wrapped an arm around me.

"Hey, Bucky. Hey, Steve," I said.

"Hey, y/n," Steve said.

We all kept talking for a moment before Steve excused himself and went over to Natasha. I smiled at the couple. They were just so cute.

"You know, I'm glad Steve found Nat," Bucky said.

"And I'm glad that Nat found Steve. They both deserve happiness," I said.

Bucky pulled me in for a kiss. I smiled up at him.

"You okay, Doll?" he asked. "No skin-to-skin contact bothering you?"

I shook my head and smiled.

"I think I'm finally over that," I said.

Bucky smiled at me and kissed me again.

"Can I get you a drink?" he asked.

"Does Thor have any of that Asgardian mead?" I asked.

Bucky laughed.

"You like the strong stuff, don't you?" he joked.

I shrugged.

"I only like strong alcohol and men," I said, winking at him. "Hasn't been too much of a problem so far."

Bucky squeezed my waist and made his way over to the bar. Tony waltzed up to me and I smiled at him.

"You love him, don't you?" Tony asked.

I turned to face Tony with wide eyes.

"I – wha – uh... I –"

"And based on your response, you haven't told him yet," Tony said.

I closed my mouth and shook my head.

"Yeah, I love him," I said. "I've been with him for four months and lived with him for seven. That's not too early, is it?"

"Nah," Tony said. "Love is love. You know when you know."

He walked off, leaving me thinking about it.

I really did love Bucky, but I was scared that it was too early. I knew that he still had trouble with talking about his feelings, even with me.

When Bucky came back, I smiled at him, pushing the thought from my mind. He held two glasses which were halfway filled with an amber liquid. He handed me one and used his free arm to wrap around my waist. I took a sip of the drink, the liquid feeling heavy on my tongue. Somehow, it tasted like honey and the comfort of a fireplace.

Quite a few hours later, and we were all a bit tipsy. All of the other guests had left, and we all sat in the lounge.

"No, Tony, you can't have any more," Pepper said sternly.

"But Pepper!" Tony whined, dragging out the 'r'.

The rest of us laughed. Clint was playing with drumsticks, which was strange, seeing as there wasn't a drumkit in this tower. I knew, because I wanted to play the drums to annoy Bucky at two in the morning.

We were all laughing at something Sam said when a loud boom shook the tower. We all took defensive positions.

"What the hell was that?" Bruce asked.

Pepper took out Tony's hologram and looked to the cameras.

"Oh my god," she said. "We're under attack."

"Shit," Steve said.

"Language!" I called.

We all took defensive stances as the doors to the room burst open and about sixty armed agents stormed in. Bullets tore through the air and we all ducked behind various pieces of furniture. I looked around the corner and used my power to slam a couple of agents against a wall.

I rubbed my head as a headache tore through me. Using my powers while tipsy was a bad idea. A shield came crashing into the furniture beside me. I grabbed it and hurled it towards a group of soldiers. It ricocheted off of the soldiers, knocking out four of them.

I knew we were outmatched. None of us were in the right minds to be able to fight properly, although the idea of a threat had sobered us all up a bit.

And agent ran at me and I punched him in the face. I pulled a gun out from my thigh holster and shot at a couple of agents. I made sure to shoot at the ones that weren't near my friends, just in case I was a little bit more than tipsy. I engaged in hand to hand combat with an agent.

Some of the agents ran out of the room. I followed after them. I ran through the halls and finally found them. I felt a piercing pain in the side of my neck. I reached for it and felt something. I pulled it out and looked at the tranquiliser.

"Shit," I muttered, already feeling my eyelids start to droop.

I tried to keep my eyes open, but I stumbled to the floor. I heard people call out my name, but I wasn't able to respond. Darkness took over and everything faded away.