e i g h t

"We should have a girls' night," Natasha said.

I turned to face her. We were currently watching Lucifer, a tv show that Nat absolutely adored.

"Like you, me, and Wanda?" I asked.

Natasha nodded.

"Sounds fun," I said. "What would we do?"

"Watch movies, eat food, talk about guys and girls... all that fun stuff," she said.

I was about to say something when Clint walked in the room.

"Who's making dinner tonight?" he asked.

"That would be me," I said, checking the time. "I should probably get started."

"What are you making?" Clint asked.

"Chicken curry," I said. "I'll get it right this time."

"I can't believe you burnt rice," Clint said.

I threw a pillow at him. I hadn't had much time to learn how to cook, due to my ten years at Hydra. Clint knew this, but he tried to make light of it. He laughed and I walked to the kitchen. I carefully took off my gloves and placed them on the counter. I took off my jacket and tied up my hair.

Whenever I cooked, most people avoided the kitchen, because I couldn't wear my gloves or long sleeves. The team had taught me kitchen safety, and sometimes helped me, but I was determined to get this one right by myself.

"What are we having?" Tony asked once I'd put the rice on.

"Chicken curry," I said.

"Gonna get it right this time?" he asked.

I nodded, stirring the sauce in the pot. I turned around and knocked a spoon off the bench.

"I'll get it," Tony said, but I was already reaching for it.

My hand wrapped around the spoon as Tony's fingers touched mine.

"You gotta let go! I'll catch you, I promise!"

Pepper was hanging from a machine. The machine jerked and she fell down, her hand missing Tony's by millimetres. She fell down towards a pit of fire. Tony felt despair, and horror that he'd missed her. He was that close –

I was breathing heavily when I returned to the present. Tony and I were both on the floor. He was looking at me with pain in his eyes.

"I – I'm so sorry –"

"Don't apologise," Tony said comfortingly. "You can't control it."

My lips thinned. I should be able to control it.

I finished making dinner and put my gloves and jacket on securely. I set the table and called everyone for dinner. I sat next to Sam and Wanda. To my dismay, Bucky sat opposite me, with Steve sitting next to him.

I had been tempted to not make him a serving, but Steve would have given me a verbal beating.

"Dude, I decimated you in training today!" Sam said to Bucky.

I smirked into my plate.

"Think that's funny, l/n?"

I looked up to see Bucky giving me a dirty look. The chatter around the table died down.

"Yeah, I do, actually," I sneered. "You were supposed to be the best of the best, weren't you? You have super soldier serum, but you can't even take down a normal human."

"Y/n," Sam murmured.

"At least I can cook a decent meal," Bucky retorted.

"At least I have two arms," I shot back.

"At least I can control myself," Bucky snarled.

"Really? You're one to talk," I growled.

Bucky glared at me with such hatred in his eyes. I knew the hatred reflected in my own.

"Y/n! Stop!"

I turned around, about to yell at Steve for picking Bucky's side, when I realised that all of the knives on the table were suspended in mid-air and pointed at Bucky. Bucky looked around at them, as if only just realising it, too.

"No control, as I said," Bucky taunted.

I smacked my hands down on the table. All of the knives fell to their original resting spots and I stood up.

"I hope you get food poisoning," I snarled at Bucky before storming off.

I locked myself in my room.

I hated Bucky. I hated him so much. I hated that he could get to me so easily. I punched at my pillow, imagining his face.

Maybe I'd get to pummel him in training one day. Maybe.