CHAPTER 16

Mia's POV

Miss, wake up.

I could hear someone calling me but my eyes felt too heavy to open. On my mind was my baby and I knew I had to open my eyes.

Finally, seeing the white ceiling and nurse's face, she let out a sigh of relief.
"My baby?" I whispered.

"Let's give you some water first." She smiled and brought the straw towards my lips. I closed my mouth around it and drank. It felt good to my system.

She lifted the pillow under my head making me more comfortable.
"The doctor had an emergency so I will explain to you what you need to know." She started.

"Is my baby okay?"

"Yes. The baby is okay." I sighed and smiled. Thank God for it. I was scared something was going to happen to my child.

"But there were few complications. You weren't eating enough and stressed too much. The baby was barely hanging on." I laid defeated and tears formed. Why do I always bring my children in danger? I don't deserve to be their mother.

"What I need to do now?" I asked hoarsely.

"Until you are over with your first trimester, you will need to be in the hospital and rest. You can't walk or do something that requires any physical work. Only when you need to use the toilet or bath. The doctor will check up on you every day." She explained.

"Alright. I will do it." I nodded. I would do anything that it takes to keep my baby safe. Even if it means lying in the bed for two months.

"Glad to hear this." She smiled.

"Can you tell me how is August Odak? He was admitted to the hospital in the morning." I asked.

"I don't know. It's a different department but I will find out and tell you. Now you need to rest and I will send in some food." I thanked her before she left me alone.

I knew I had to call Laura and tell her what happened. She will freak out but I needed her to bring Leon over here so I could explain him. My poor boy. What he has been through these past few days because of me.

***

"I told you to not stress yourself, Mia. And what did you do?" Laura scolded me.

"I stressed myself," I said, like a child who done something bad. Which I did. She sat next to me and side hugged me.

"I'm worried about you. I don't want something bad to happen to you or the baby. You have been through so much, Mia and you are still strong." She encouraged me. I started crying. Her words brought tears because guilt returned.

"But because of me, none of this would have happened," I said.

"You were scared when you found out what August's job is and you wanted to protect your children. It shows that you are a good mother. Before all of this happened, August told me he understood your reaction and he felt guilty for not telling you earlier." Laura explained.

I wiped my cheeks and hugged her back. Laura was like a sister that I never had. She brought me comfort and I understood how August felt. He still fought for us, even if I betrayed him. He loves Leon more than anything in the world and I tried to take him away from him.

"Thank you, Laura. I don't know why I did confront him before. I love him so much." I sobbed.

"I know. You were scared. You need to focus on the future now and make sure your little one is okay. August is a strong man. He will certainly fight to wake up. Everything will be fine."

"I hope so. I want it to happen." I said firmly.

The door of my room opened and Valerio nudged Leon inside. My baby rushed to me and wanted to jump on the bed but it was too high for him. Laura helped him up and bid goodbye before leaving.

"I missed you, baby," I spoke as I hugged him.

"I missed you too, mommy. Why are you on this bed? Are you sick?" He asked looking scared.

"Leon, mommy is not sick but I need to explain something." I started. He nodded as I took his hand in mine.

"I'm listening, mommy." He smiled.

"I'm having your brother or sister in my stomach. He or she is still very small and vulnerable. So the doctor told me to lie in the bed until your brother or sister becomes strong. Do you understand?" I asked cautiously.

"I'm having baby brother or sister?" He asked.

"Yes, baby." I smiled.

"That's awesome, mommy. I will play with him all the time." He squealed excitedly.

"Why just him? What if it's a girl?" I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"I don't need a sister. I want a brother." He frowned.

"Boy or girl, it will still be your sibling. Alright?" I said and he nodded.

He laid on my chest and put his little hand on my stomach.
"Mommy, uncle Valerio told me that machines help papa to recover. Why does he need them? I want him to wake up fast so we can hug and play again."

"Papa needs those machines to wake up. And when he does, we can all play and hug together. But we need to be patient because papa needs time, okay?" I explained.

"Okay, mommy. I will wait." He agreed. A tear slid down my cheek as I hugged my son closer.

"Everything will be okay. We are going to play again and your baby brother or sister will be born. When he or she grows older, you can teach him or her to play football or basketball. Sounds good to you?" I chuckled.

"Yes, mommy. I can't wait. Can we share my room?" He asked.

"Not until he or she grows older. Babies cry a lot. Do you want to listen to that?" He scrunched his face and shook his head.

"No, mommy. I don't want to share my room then." He replied. I laughed at his words.

"Okay. We will have another room for him or her then?" I suggested.

"That's great, mommy." He agreed.

A/N

Thank you for voting and commenting.