The Heart of the Detective

Start from the beginning

Before the detective could say anything else, Chadwick continued her assault. She focused her attention on Jenma this time. Ame found a small window of opportunity when Chadwick shifted targets and peppered her with gunfire.

Chadwick's whirling scythe blocked out most of Ame's shots, but her bad position let three shots slip through her supposedly ironclad defense. Two shots struck her arm and another struck her leg, but the senior reaper didn't slow down at all.

It was going to take much more than that to take this behemoth down, Ame realized.

As soon as she had emptied her two revolvers, the detective saw Chadwick repeat her attack on Jenma this time. Unlike Gura, however, the management trainee was immediately put on the defensive. Jenma couldn't seem to properly parry the scythe!

"Pathetic!" Chadwick taunted Jenma mercilessly, "Your so-called senpai wielded that blade - that katana - better than you. She actually kept up with me and Mori and put up a hell of a fight!" The senior reaper then grinned, "Leaving the rest of her mission in the hands of a rookie like you? She must be ashamed!"

"I'm not a rookie!" Jenma argued, "I'm...!"

However, this frustration was exactly what Chadwick was hoping for. While Jenma was distracted, the senior reaper hooked her katana from behind. Chadwick then pulled Jenma close and hook-kicked her straight in the gut.

That powerful kick knocked the wind out of Jenma's sails and she fell fraily down to the ground. All of this happened before Ame could reload her two revolvers - almost in the blink of an eye!

"Not a rookie, my ass." Chadwick spat.

Victorious, the senior reaper walked away from her two crushed opponents and sauntered towards Ame.

"These were the people you entrusted your life with, detective?" The senior reaper gloated, "You're wasting your time with these chumps. Your indecision will only make them suffer more, Miss Watson." She then set the base of her scythe on the ground again and added, "Do you think that Lowry's cavalry, if you can call it that, will save you? I can beat that aristocrat girl so badly that she'll be crying for her daddy all the way back to London. It'll be so easy that it's almost sad."

Chadwick's words were harsh, but Ame could tell that the senior reaper wasn't bluffing. Seeing Gura and Jenma defeated on the ground, the detective's resolve was threatening to waver. Then, she recalled the words that Chadwick spoke when she appeared at the gates of the hotel earlier that night.

"You said I had potential, right?" The detective tested cautiously, "What the hell were you talking about, Chadwick?"

"Ah - yes, of course." Chadwick beamed at Ame, "Are you finally seeing the light? You have the potential to become a Grim Reaper, Miss Watson. Not just any Grim Reaper, mind you." She then looked Ame straight in the eye and revealed, "I can see you having a scythe to your name."

"Me?" Ame was distressed, "A scythe-wielding reaper?"

"You put too little faith in yourself, detective." Chadwick held her scythe firmly and explained, "The fire of your soul burns strong. That fire can forge a scythe like this baby here. In time, your name will be celebrated in the underworld!"

Ame, however, wasn't moved by the promise of fame and fortune. So, the senior reaper snickered.

"More importantly, you can stay at Priestess Ninomae's side too as her knight and guardian. The shark-girl can even be your squire, if you wish! The three of you can be together forever! Until the end of days!"

This time, Ame's lips crumpled and she clenched her fists at her sides. Chadwick, on the other hand, relished in the detective's anguish.

Once again, Ame could tell that Chadwick's words were true. This was a legitimate offer - one that the senior reaper would probably earnestly vouch for. After all, Chadwick's offers - as well as her threats - have been frighteningly genuine.