The Heart of the Detective

Prologue

In the war-scarred foyer of the Fleur de Lune hotel, Kiara Takanashi frantically chased after Calliope Mori. That left Ame, Gura and Jenma to square off against the fearsome Jacqueline Chadwick and her mighty reaper's scythe on their own.

It was a three-to-one fight, but the menacing grin on Chadwick's lips was filled with unsettling confidence that made Ame's heart tremble. That grin alone told Ame that the odds weren't in their favor and that this battle was nowhere near fair. The senior reaper looked like a large, rugged lioness that was playing with her food before eviscerating them.

Once Kiara and Calliope disappeared from the foyer, Chadwick scoffed and hummed with amusement.

"So what will it be, detective?" Chadwick whirled her scythe skillfully and pointed it at Ame, "My offer to you still stands. Surrender the Priestess Ninomae and the pretender from another world to me and the Grim Reapers will leave you alone. You have my word." She then laid down the base of her scythe on the marble floor and gestured with her free hand, "Think of what you can do in that time! You can catalogue the Phoenix and tell the world about your adventures! Even the great Dr. Watson will be second fiddle to you!"

"As if any of that matters!" Ame stubbornly pointed her guns at Chadwick and sneered, "Lowry and the Gendarmes are mopping up your skeleton friends outside. You're in no position to negotiate! Gura, Jenma and I will send you back to the hell that you came from!"

"Hard-headed, foolish and brash... but that's why you caught my eye, detective." Chadwick's smirk widened and she picked up her scythe from the ground, "I've made my offers. Now I won't hold back!"

With scythe in tow, Chadwick launched herself at the defenders. Ame fired two shots at the senior reaper, but Chadwick danced around the bullets and closed the distance briskly.

Chadwick went for Gura first and tested the Atlantean's strength once more. Gura held her trident firmly and pushed back against Chadwick, but the senior reaper swung her scythe wide and gradually overpowered her.

Ame and Jenma tried to flank Chadwick, but the senior reaper skillfully whirled her scythe and formed a circle of whistling death around her. That whirling scythe was like a typhoon of otherworldly metal that cut through Ame's and Jenma's cheeks and drew blood - forcing them to stay back. It kept Gura's allies away and let Chadwick isolate her completely.

"Damn it!" Gura cursed beneath her breath.

"I've been waiting for this moment, shark-girl." Chadwick hissed and pressed the attack, "Your trident screwed up Death-sensei's plans with the RMS Teutonic. I had to take the blame for it."

"Why should I care about your problems at work!?" Gura hissed back and thrust her trident back.

"You're still alive, Gawr Gura - you wouldn't understand!" Chadwick lashed back.

All of the sudden, Chadwick intensified her attack. She struck down Gura's trident with an exceptionally powerful backhand swipe. Then, the senior reaper thrust the pole of her scythe into Gura's chest like a pool cue. That strike made Gura cough up blood and robbed her of her balance, but she stood up regardless.

Unfortunately, Chadwick wasn't done either.

The senior reaper retracted her scythe and grabbed Gura by the collar of her summer shirt. She then raised the small Atlantean high up in the air and threw her down onto the marble floor, tail-first.

Marble tiles cracked from the sheer strength of Chadwick's throw. Gura was left writhing in immense pain.

"Gura!" Ame cried.