Marooned

Prologue

The door of Room 88 opened with an odd creak but stayed just slightly ajar from the frame. Ame, Ina and Gura dared to peeked out from behind the door. There was no more trace of Jackie Chadwick or the First Mate's staff member in the hall and the entire section was as quiet as a Bedfordshire winter.

That was the cue for the trio to sneak out of Room 88, close and lock the door behind them. Then, they carefully make their way back to Ame's and Ina's cabin - Room 57 - far down the hall.

On their way back, they watched the halls carefully and listened for the distinct sound of the heavy jackboots of Chadwick's staff. They were prepared to scram and flee at the drop of a hat.

However, there were no members of Chadwick's staff lurking there either. They only found Cabin-class guests loafing around, sipping fruity cocktails without a care in the world. So, the girls counted their blessings and picked up their pace - making a beeline for Room 57 without any incident.

Once they were back inside the room, Ame locked their door and made sure that it wouldn't budge. Only then did she start breathing again, causing a dizzy spell to nearly rob her of her balance. Gura, on the other hand, was the first one to slump onto a chair at the cabin's table.

"Do you crazy ladies mind telling me what the heck went on just now!?" Gura complained, baring her noticeably sharp teeth. She then glared at Ame and then at Ina, demanding an explanation.

Ina, already winded from their little adventure, plopped down onto Ame's bed. Ame, meanwhile, sat across from Gura at the table and set down her now dusty doctor's bag between them. She brought out the three envelopes - all of which bore the distinctly blue, triangle-shaped seals - that they found behind the wooden panels of Room 88.

"These are letters from the 'Cover Corporation'. There's no return address though, so we can't really dig into where they are or what their charter is." Ame explained with a cautious tone, "They're just like the one that I got in Bedfordshire a few months ago... but these ones were never mailed. Look here."

Ame tapped on the top right corner of each envelope, pointing out the lack of stamps or postage.

"So some airhead forgot to bring some mail to the post office?" Gura tested impatiently, "What's that got to do with us?"

"Well... about that." Ame took Gura's venom in stride and just wore an uncomfortable smile. She then spread out the three envelopes on the table and continued, "Two of these letters are addressed to you and Ina."

"What...!?" Gura rose up from her chair and bore down on Ame and the envelopes, "There's no way in the world... I haven't kept the same address for a long time!"

She picked up the letter that was supposedly addressed to her, hoping to call Ame's bluff. Ame wasn't bluffing, though. The letter was indeed addressed to her. The address listed there was a Post Office in West Virginia - the one in the small nondescript town that she had been staying at before she journeyed to London. That made Gura's jaw drop in awe.

While Gura fidgeted about how the mysterious sender got her address from a few months ago, Ame handed Ina the letter addressed to her.

" Humu humu ..." Ina remarked calmly, "This one was addressed to the Far Eastern consulate in Ottawa. It's marked for the 'personal mail' dropbox too. Impressive attention to detail."

Once Gura had calmed down, she and Ina broke the blue seals of their respective envelopes and read through the letters addressed to them within. Meanwhile, Ame closed her eyes and recited the contents of her own letter. She had memorized that letter from Cover Corporation by heart when she received it in Bedfordshire and burned it to her memory, so she recited it word for word.