Chapter One: Love Is Confusion

Shoto Todoroki didn't even realize what he was doing; stealing glances from across the room, smiling intently at the mention of your name over the school's loudspeakers, the short-lasting glances at your lips, and the oddly protective demeanor he held for you.

It was as if he was a clueless child, his subconscious actions unbeknownst to him. Although, the way he felt wasn't as subtle, a strong pitter-patter of fluttering butterflies bubbling from his stomach with each glance.

In spite of that, he was still oblivious to the clearly smitten feelings, having no idea what that even meant or felt like, and unsure if he wasn't just coming down with heart disease.

But you guessed Shoto could've called it heart disease, as the loving infection that spread through him was practically deadly, the bi-haired male willing to risk his life for the person who held his heart so desperately captive. All while his feelings were completely unknown.

It was happening now: Shoto's eyes glued to your frame as his peers exited the emptying classroom. A pumped-up Kaminari was throwing on a coat before racing Sero out the door, while a smiling Uraraka made simple conversation with a nearby Iida.

Leaning forward against the desk, however, you sat, listening intently to Asui as you waited for her to finish putting on her mittens. You were smiling, coat on and earmuffs hanging around your neck. With your head resting in your hands, your leg nervously shook under the table. It was a coping mechanism you used frequently—something Shoto noticed you did during his quiet (and what he thought to be) confusing actions towards you.

"Todoroki-kun?" A rough hand tapped Shoto persistently on the shoulder, attempting to get the male's attention.

Despite the fact the bi-haired male was being mercifully pestered by taps, he couldn't take his eyes off you, your sitting figure almost like bright light to moths, your frame constantly attracting him.

"Todoroki-kun?"

Snapping out of his spell-like trance, Shoto quickly blinked, snapping his head to face the slightly smaller male that had poked him. Looking into green eyes and freckled face, the bi-haired male almost cocked an eyebrow, his voice as monotone and smooth as it usually was. "Midoriya?"

"You were spacing out again," the green-haired male said, adjusting the fluffy scarf around his neck. "I was gonna ask [Name] if they needed help on the math assignment, so I was gonna ask them to sit with us for lunch," Midoriya looked up from the fondling of his scarf. "But you got spacey."

Half-embarrassed, the bi-haired male looked down, wanting to bite the inside of his cheeks and nibble at his lips. "Oh, right," he said, still monotone.

"Is that okay?" Midoriya asked, questioning his friend's unreadable facial expressions. The emerald male cocked his head into a slight tilt to the side, almost narrowing his eyes. "Would it bother you? They're very talkative," he stated, almost as if it was a bad thing, and acting like it was something Shoto disliked.

It was true the bi-haired male liked quiet; it was just who he was. It was also true he had introverted tendencies, liking to complete work alone rather than in groups, and seeming to avoid eye contact and unneeded conversations.

But when things came to you; it was impossible for him to dislike anything. You created a new world for him, one where he could endure useless conversations and weirdly felt the need to crack jokes—something he had less than a talent for—and even give gentle touches people seemed to like for the comfort and warmth of it all.

It almost made him feel... Free.

Shoto shook his head, wanting to stare at his feet but forcing himself to look into Midoryia's bright eyes, gazing into his two, green irises. "No, it's fine with me," he said, almost surprising the other male, "it doesn't really bother me."