~43. Lamb to the Slaughter🔪

Start from the beginning

Bani hit his chest lightly.

B: Shut up Veeranshu! Daddy ji ka qatil aaj bhi azaad hai....tumhari chinta to hogi na mujhe

V: Badi chinta hai tumhe meri Naagin Sharma...koi khaas baat hai kya? Bolo Bolo

Veer poked her. Bani gave him a mock glare but blushed and left. Veer stared after her.

V: Tum mano ya na mano, pyaar to tum krti ho mujhse Naagin Sharma. Ab mere charm se koi kitne hi din baccha reh skte hai.

Veer laughed and left towards the study. His smiled died down. The cheer that Bani bought to him was limited to her presence. Once alone, he again began to think about his father and his murder. He went through all the things, nothing was missing. It was clear that whosoever killed Balwant only wanted vengeance for something as it wasn't a case of theft gone wrong. Yet, he saw the broken locker that confused everything.

V: Ballu yrrr...kitne kaand kiye hai life me...itne dushman hai...kiss kiss angle se enquiry karu mai?? Locker tuta hua hai pr kuch bhi chori nahi hua hai...lekin phir kisine isse thoda hi kyu??

Veer sat there for hours before Bani fetched him. She smiled and took his hands in hers. Just like that, Veer lifeless eyes began to shine again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

After dinner, the Singhania men were in the hall. Bani was in the kitchen.

D: So, what do we know by now?

T: The killer had a revenge motive as nothing was stolen.

M: But he went through the locker yet took nothing?

V: The killer is 99% Cheel as he was stabbed using our special khanjar. Only Cheels have it and its handle is magical. Koi aur creature usse choota toh uska haath jal jata..

P: Bhaisaab se jo koi bhi milla tha, vo unhe jaante they. Table pr sharab ki do glasses thi. Ek khali aur ek bhari hui..

Po: Killer ne most probably apni drink ko haath nahi lagaya..

The men kept going through the facts. Bani came in with hot mugs of coffee for Tapish and Pawan, Cold for Veer and hot chocolate for Daksh, Ponky and Monil. They all smiled gratefully at her. They had all warmed up to her and even Bani had grown comfortable with them. She looked on the paper that Daksh had where all the facts were written.

B: aap logon ne locker ka saara saman check kiya aache se?

V: Haan Bani. Dad ke locker me kitne paise hai, konsi properties ke papers hai ...ye saare details vo ek jagah likh kr rakhte they...it all matched. Nothing was missing.

B: But we are surely missing something. I think we should go through it again.

D: Bhabhi thik keh rahi hai. Kl mai experts ko bulwa kr ek baar sb scan krwa lunga.

The men discussed a few more things and turned to leave. Bani too was done with her work and was changed in her night clothes. She was standing near the staircase upstairs and waiting for Veer. As everyone dispersed, Veer was last one to leave. Bani was looking at him. All of sudden, the large jhoomar began to fall, just like Bani's nightmare.

B: VEEERRRRR!!!!!

Veer got alarmed by this and quickly avoided the falling jhoomer. It clashed with the floor and a piece flew and scratched Veer near the eye. The family rushed back into the hall. Bani too ran as fast she could and hugged him tightly.

B: Veeranshu!!! Tum thik ho na??? (cups his face) tumhe kuch hua toh nahi na??? Hey Bholenath! Ye sb kaise ho gaya??

T: Monil, Ponky- tum dono abhi jao aur upar ka hissa check kro, specially wahan krna jahan ye jhoomar bandha hua tha..