Chapter 8: A Shocking Discovery

Images of the two people I love in the past start running through my head. The time where Clara got shot was during the time we were given the mission by the chief. The group of gangsters were about to rob the bank. When we got there, we managed to arrest the gangsters. Except a few more. We both headed over to catch up with them. The sacks of gold and dollars are clenched in their hands. We chased after the gangsters. That was until we're cornered. In the alleyway. This time, we had no choice but to defend themselves, thus arrest the gangsters and take them to Military Police Department for a reasonable talk. Especially the leader. And so we did.

But then, I heard a scream coming from Clara.
"NO!!!!!"

Then, what happened next? Well, I think you already know the rest.

The time where my father died was the time we're about to go home from a faraway mission after finding out some kind of culprit faked it. I was, again, given the mission by the chief, but this time, I was partnered with the most recent member of the U.F.P.D.

Rocky Grace.

At first, I didn't know if I should trust him, but when Clara was still alive, she told me that he's the real sweetheart once I get to know him. And so, we talked. Then, we made peace with each other. Apart from Clara, Rocky is one of my best friends. I treat him like a younger brother and he sees me as an older sister.

Anyways, Rocky and I went along in the faraway place along with three officers. Along the way, we met an almost medium-sized group of wisps. Rocky was the first to befriend them. At first, I hesitate, but after a few moments of convincing and puppy eyes coming from the wisps and Rocky himself, I agree to let them tag along.

Then, after we explained why we're here, five crimson wisps suddenly took us to a faraway place. That's when I decided to fully trust the wisps.
And that faraway place happens to be... a grassy place. A lush, grassy garden with trees that look like coconut ones, but those trees actually grow into a palm-sized fruit. There, I couldn't help but feel like someone's watching us.

Then, certain creatures with wings came out. I never knew there was a Chao Garden in a faraway place. Then, we realized. This was all a trick! We immediately went back to the M.P.D. to inform the chief, but along the way, we encountered my father's lab. Set on fire. I ran inside to save him, but Rocky pulled me back to make sure I'm safe.
But I didn't care. All that mattered was having my father by my side.

And so, I yanked his arm and ran inside immediately. I scattered around the house calling out for my father. But then, something worse happened. I was suffocating to death. Especially when I kneeled down beside my father. Before I passed out, I hear his last whispers running in my ear.

"Discover who he is, Runa. Don't give up on him. Connect with him."

I didn't know who's him. But all I know is that my father's dead. And now, I know. He's not giving up on Shadow. To do good to others and protect the world. And he told me to do the same.

As those memories run through my head, my eyes widen in horror. Then, for the first time ever, anger, fury and rage occur in me. This time, I become even more furious and angrier than before. I keep struggling myself out of my tied grasp from the ropes and tapes for a while.

Once Arrogan's face moves away from mine, I give him a death dagger glare.

"You... You monster!!!" I say furiously.

"What did you just tell her?" asks Reuben.

"It's none of your business, Reuben," says Arrogan, then he turns to Bianca. "Same to you."

"You told Runa there's something about her connection with Shadow! I've also heard about her two loved ones from the past! Tell us right now or we'll keep-" Bianca's right fists punches her other palm to threaten him in equal verve. "-crushing you until you're dust!!!"

Reuben nods in response.

Arrogan's body turns to them. Both Reuben and Bianca had their threatening glares on their faces. It's like they're serious and stern business partners and detectives wanting to know what's really going on.

"If I tell you, will you complete your missions of pursuing?" Arrogan asks them.

"Yup," they nod in answer.

He sighs in a hint of defeat, "Alright, then." He then, moves his head up to make contact with them. "I did it! I killed them!"

"Kill who?" Bianca asks him with a threatening glare still appearing on her face. Looks like someone wants a specific answer.

"I killed- Aagh!"

He's suddenly cut off by someone suddenly kicking him in the stomach. His body is sent flying on the wall, then down to the ground. Now, his face made no contact with the figure. Rather, he seems to make contact with the ground. I look over to a shadowy figure who brought him to the ground. By the shape of it, I immediately recognize him.

"Shadow!" I exclaim finally in joy.

"Close your eyes," he tells me. I obey.

Then, the next thing I hear, I begin tightening my eyes closed.

"Chaos Spear!"

I feel ropes and tapes slipping away from my body. Then, my fingers and toes begin to twitch.

"Hey, Runa. You can open your eyes now," says Shadow.

I shoot my eyes open a bit, then I bat them for vision support. I then, look down at myself. This time, instead of thick ropes and thick tapes surrounding me, I can see my usual body appearance with ropes and tapes on the floor.
My lips stretch out a happy smile. Shadow has freed me.

I run to Shadow's right as we form our battle stances against Arrogan. Then, I hear multiple footsteps. I'm most certain Rouge, Omega, my five chao friends, Comono, the two G.U.N. Agents and even Savvy, Langua and the Commander have arrived. Now, they're standing behind us ready to battle Arrogan. I really wanted to ask them why they came here and how did they know this place, but I figure we must focus on battling Arrogan and perhaps, make him tell us, even though I already know. Or maybe, the others knew. If they do eavesdrop the second half the story.

Then suddenly, Comono's voice runs through my head. We informed the Commander about the entire situation after finding out you were kidnapped. At first, he asked why I'm here, but after I told him the whole story, he decided to accept the Langcomn Tribe as allies. I guess Shadow found out what I mean when I told everyone the details about what your father said about you.

Yes. I think he does, I think in reply.

"Why?" Shadow asks Arrogan angrily. With an additional feeling of ultimate rage. "Why did you do it?"

Honestly, I've never seen him so angry before. Well, aside from his deal with an obsessive adoption sister, of course. But this time, his anger and rage is more than the first time.

I see two confused faces from Reuben and Bianca. But then, their facial expressions turn into completely shocked ones.

"You killed Runa's father and best friend?!?!?!" Bianca asks in complete shock.

"Listen. I can explain," says Arrogan.

"You've explained long enough. You told Runa about her connection with Shadow originated from Professor Lucas' compassion," says Reuben.

"What?! How did you know?!" he asks Reuben.

"I discovered it while you carried her here. I peeked in for about a science experiment called 'Project: Runa.'"

I see Langua whispering to Comono, but I never catch a word. He nods in response. I think she's asking him about my personal connection with Shadow placed by my father himself.

"I..." Arrogan trails off.

"Let's talk about finding the real Amulet of Communication! Tell us where it is right now!" Langua says angrily.

"Oh, you mean this pretty baby~?" Savvy's seductive voice catches our attention.

Once we turn around in her direction, we are all in total immediate shock at what we just saw. Even the two G.U.N. soldiers. It's like we never seen a single thing coming. I cannot believe that psychopath would do such a thing!

"You wanna get it back? You have to get through me first," says Savvy holding up the real amulet.