Chapter 4: The Langcomn History

Langua starts touring me around the whole Langcomn land. As I look around its surroundings, I see that the other Langcomn are wearing clothes made of leaves as suspected. I can tell who's male and who's female. Not just by the hair, but it's also the clothes and they both have different natural looks.

For the males, each have a jacket and shorts with traditional colors. When you look beyond where the clothes come from, it's actually made from a sheep's wool. They also wear samurai-like helmets with two leaves at its front center. You see, the leaves at the front center represent their gender. As for the looks, you can see two tusk-like bug teeths in their lower lips. The biggest ones come from the male chiefs of Langcomn. Their helmets have five leaves at its front center.

For the females, I already explained the looks of them when they become chiefs. As for the citizens, they're wearing clothes made out of leaves, just as I suspected. Their helmets have one leaf at its front center.

As we walk around the land, I look at my surroundings. Village houses on the ground, cottages in between them, a small garden with handy tools and even the training session where they have to learn in order to be military guards of this place. Once we're far from the village, I'm introduced to a cave. And inside the cave... is a magenta glowing beast. As I examine the details, it's a lion's body. It's head is more of a beast from popular fantasy stories. It has two horns on its head and fangs appear in its teeth. This place is served for those who violates the rules in the Land of Langcomns and when they're guilty of their wrong doings especially extreme ones.

We are moved on to the chief's palace. This is exactly how it all started. To be honest, this palace doesn't look like they're royalty in fantasy stories, but that's okay because — well, what can say? It's the Langcomns we're talking about!

We start on the second floor where I get to see what the bedrooms look like. Turns out, it has at least five bedrooms. One for the male and female chiefs and the others for their children. Each of them are filled with luxury and at the same time, traditional and simple things are decorated. I'm really impressed at these designs. They're well-balanced when it comes to decorating your home especially your bedroom.
Soon, we move on to the last two destinations. One of them is the throne room. It's a big room, but everything's all blank except the throne before us and the mats on each side. This allows us to sit down in any form we want. If someone needs a chair, they need to get permission from the chief's advisor. The throne has different shades of brown and it's made of wood. In its left armchair, when you press one button, a cylinder-like post rises up. The post has a lateral line running across it. This indicates that the top part is actually a lid. And when you open it, there's a glass underneath.

"This is where we usually keep the amulet," says Langua.

I turn to her in a mix of confusion and surprise. "Really?"

"Yes. Our very first chief made an idea about it. It's the one way to keep it safe from the evil hands."

Soon, we move on to our last destination. The dining room. Inside is like holding a banquet. I can tell by how long the rectangular table is. About 5 meters. We have to sit down for lunch. The maids were ordered to give a few dishes to the prisoners since they're a few of those I'm happy with.

Lunch is served.

Right before me is a bowl of seasoned soup. Made from sliced cabbage, minced vegetables, a teaspoon of tamarind, a pinch of minced chili and a pinch of palm sugar. I scoop up the small amount of broth and blow it gently. Then, once I feel like it's getting warmer, my spoon reaches my lips and the soup enters my mouth. The seasonal taste in this soup explodes in my tongue. I've never had a taste of soup like this before.

I can hear the conversation between Langua and her male advisor. During that, I learn that the advisor's name is Comono.

"I won't let my land be homeless like how our original planet was destroyed. Not even those prisoners should stand in my way," says Langua.

"But they're innocent, sis. Why are you doing judgements in the wrong way?" Comono asks her.

Her fists banging on the table startles us,"Silence! We promised our ancestors to protect the Amulet of Communication and now, it's stolen by some meddling scientist!"

I raise my hand to stop the fight, then I ask Langua in a soft voice, "I didn't mean to interrupt, but who's the meddling scientist you're talking about?"

Langua sighs in response. Then, the next words I hear from her is the complete history.

"Over a thousand years ago, we used to live in another planet. And on that planet laid an orb buried underground. With this orb, we're able to understand each other. In addition to that, as I said before, we naturally have the same powers as yours."

True, I think as I nod in response.

"But each of us have a unique ability that can only be used when needed. Comono has the power to transfer thoughts into anyone's minds. You already know my ability."

Yup, I think.

"And you, Runa, have the power to seek souls when needed. But then, something tragic happened. Our planet was destroyed by the black hole. We lost our homes. We lost our needs. And worst of all, we lost everything. But we, the remaining Langcomns, had evacuated to the ship created by our own technology. The remains of the orb, food and water were with us, too. We all worked together to find a home to stay in. Until, finally, we encountered a part of this jungle where we allow ourselves to make food from edible plants surrounding it. We made this place our home. This place, which we're currently in right now. For many years, we spent time building our homes. At the same time, some of the orb was used to forge into a sacred artifact."

"The Amulet of Communication?" I ask her.

"Yes, Runa. The Amulet of Communication. The very first chief named it. We made a promise to protect the amulet from the wrong hands. And we've been keeping that promise for years. Until one day..."

I lean over to listen more curiously and carefully to every word she's going to say.

"That meddling scientist named Professor Lucas came in and asked for the amulet. I got so mad I ran off to my own bedroom. I didn't get to hear the rest of the details"

Hold on a minute. Langua thought my father, Professor Lucas, is the meddling scientist coming here for the amulet. But he's a gentle and caring scientist to all of us. Plus, he treats me like a real father. There must've been a big misunderstanding that time.

"And now, we're out there, hunting for the amulet. I'm yearning to get it back, for I made a promise to protect it from evil. The others are hesitant, but I keep telling them to focus on this mission"

That's ridiculous. Please, stop getting carried away, I think.

"Now, will you tell me what currently happened to the amulet?" she asks me.

My eyes are full of fear and worry. Tears fill my eyes. My heart is pounding rapidly in fear. I look down in hesitation. "It's..."

"We're waiting," Langua says impatiently.

A few tears escape from my eyes. After a few hesitations, I look back up at her. "It's... broken."

Every shocked face I see shoot their directions at me. "It's what?!?!?!" Langua asks in complete shock.

"It shouldn't be broken! The Amulet of Communication is the most sacred artifact in the Land of Langcomns!" says Comono in complete shock.

"Did you break the amulet into pieces whether by accident or on purpose?!?!?!" asks Langua.

I raise my hands up in defense, "Listen. I can explain. I did not break the amulet."

"Then, who did?!?!"

That's when I begin to explain the time I got abused by Aleyah when she's still obsessed with Shadow. Then, I explained the time she snatched my amulet and stepped on it really hard. It was so hard it became shattered into pieces. The only thing Aleyah knows about my amulet is how special it is. There's no other detail she knows about it. Then, I conclude by telling them what currently happened to Aleyah.

Just before I see a single reaction, a faint sound of the helicopter rings in my ears.