Library

After a few more days, I am permitted to leave the healing room and allowed to return to the servants quarters to rest. I am happy to be back in my own room and in my own bed.

I hear a gentle knocking at the door and open it. There is a tray of food waiting on the ground so I bring it inside and eat it quickly as I am absolutely starved.

The food is delicious, it is not the usual food given to servants, but I am hardly going to complain. Perhaps it is a gift from the other servants who had been forced to witness my punishment?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The following morning, I wake up early before the other servants and put on the casual dress provided for me in my wardrobe and head out to stretch my legs.

I soon find myself drawn towards the library, but as it is early in the morning, there are no guards stationed here yet so I am able to walk in freely.

I stare lustfully at all the books as a particular one catches my eye, it is all about Asgardian history so I decide that as I live here now, I may as well learn all I can about it.

I sit and read for around an hour until I decide to head back to the servants quarters for breakfast. That is when I hear the doors open and close suddenly and footsteps echoing through the library.

I do not believe that servants are allowed to access the library unless it is part of their daily duties so a panic sets in and I attempt to hide.

I quickly put the book back in its original place and quietly go in the direction of the doors, with only a few rows of shelves between myself and the exit.

As I reach the final row my heart feels as though it will likely explode inside of my chest, but not before I bump into a tall, dark figure which appears in an attempt to block my path.

I look up and gasp at the sight of the King's green eyes piercing into my very soul as I kneel down before him.

Me: "My King!"

Loki: "What are you doing here in the royal library at this hour?" he asks with little emotion in his voice.

Me: "My sincerest apologies, my King. I could not sleep so I decided to go for a walk".

Loki: "And why would your walk lead you to this place of all places?"

Me: "I have always found the smell of books somewhat comforting".

Loki: "You know how to read?"

I must admit, I am rather insulted that he assumed I was unable.

Me: "Yes, my mother taught me".

Loki: "Do you have a favourite genre of book?"

Me: "History mainly, but there were not many available to me on Jotunheim".

Loki: "Is that all you were doing in here, reading?"

Me: "Yes, my King. I apologise if I have behaved inappropriately and will accept any punishment you deem fit".

Loki: "Do you wish to be punished?"

Me: "It is not my place to question your will on such matters".

Loki: "I know it was not you that broke my vase, Anya. I know when I am being lied to".

Me: "I believe you are mistaken".

Loki: "Why do you defend others who would stand by and allow me pass judgment on you so harshly?"

His finger slips underneath my chin and tilts my gaze upwards so that he may look me in the eyes while I rise to my feet.

Loki: "You are different" he whispers.

Me: "I am a servant, my King, nothing more" I reply and shift back from his touch.

Loki: "Have your wounds fully healed?"

Me: "Yes. I hope to return to my usual duties tomorrow".

Loki: "May I ask a question of you?"

Me: "Of course".

Loki: "Why did you look into my eyes while you were receiving your punishment?"

Me: "I thought it would please you" I say without hesitation or remorse.

What I said was true. I knew that he was already disapproving of my lack of backbone when it came to the other servants and their mean looks and comments towards me.

My act of defiance against him had earned me a great amount of respect among the others and he also seemed to approve, however much his mother did not.

Loki: "You have pleased me more than you know".

Me: "I should return to the servants quarters before breakfast".

Loki: "You have my permission to visit the library whenever you desire".

Me: "You do not have to take pity on me, my King".

Loki: "It is not pity I feel for you, Anya".